Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going To Learn To Program

Ex-member
    I've just had a look at the Python page and it looks interesting. Will look into it further when I have more time (I'm at WeeMouse's house just now and have to go home).

Cheers guys :beerchug:

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    I recommend that you get one of those "Learn C/C++ in 21 Days" books. Get a copy of C/C++, where ever you find it. Even a dummy with absolutely no programming experience can learn the basics in 21 days (like me).

If you learn C/C++, then you will have an edge on other languages. That particular language will actually teach you the concept of programming, rather than just a programming language itself.

If you just stick with C/C++, and decide to master it, then you will be able to create some great software! It is a very powerful language. Great programs and games were designed with it. Wolfestein, DOOM, Quake, etc... are all C/C++ programs!

With that information, then learning Visual Basic will be a breeze and a lot of rewarding fun.

Oh! Download one of my programs that I wrote from scratch! Looks seriously professional, yet I wrote it all in about 1 hour! Download Ebonic Slots

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Ex-member
    I've just been looking at the Python site - it's an interpreter; wouldn't that make it a lot slower than compiled languages?

I'm thinking that perhaps C would be a good idea - from what Spindulik said, I'd be able to go from beginner to advanced programmer using the same language all along.

Plus, my teacher has pointed me at a site where I can get C for free.

Will someone answer this though: What's the difference between C and C++?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Ex-member
    Ahh forget that - went and found out for myself like a good Googler.

It is two different languages which each has their ANSI standard. These two standards are different because the languages are different.

C++ is based on C though and C is like an ancestor language. Because of this, almost every C construct and C statement is also valid C++. The reverse is far from true. There are a zillion statements which are valid C++ but which will not compile in C.

However, C++ is not a true superset. There are some valid C constructs which are not valid C++. There aren't many of them and ignoring C99 for a small moment one can easily say that every valid C construct can be rewritten to a form which is also valid C++ construct. Thus it was very easy to make code that would compile for both compilers.

However, because C99 made numerous changes to C this is no longer true. C's handling of complex numbers is very different from C++ and C++ has no need for C-style handling of complex numbers since it has a more powerful template mechanism that both handles complex numbers as well as many other things without requiring special syntax as the C handling does.

And yes, people use C and C++ for slightly different things even though there are overlapping areas where either can be used.

C++ is perfect for applications, simulations, object oriented programming games, windows programming, etc etc.

C can also be used for the same types of programs but C++ is better at it than C is. Especially if the program is large and complex.

Some OSes cannot handle C++ for driver development etc and you have to use C for this purpose.

In addition, C tend to produce smaller executables, more lightweight code than C++ tend to do and is therefore also often used for programming micro controllers and stuff. However, C++ is also more and more available to such hardware as the price of memory goes down.

Looks like I should go for C++ then...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Good compiler for C++.

http://www.bloodshed.net

And it's free.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    The difference between C and C++ ?

With C you have a pretty good chance of shooting yourself in the foot.

With C++ you have the ability to blow off your entire leg.

Very powerful languages (windows was written in C), but harder to learn. Syntax is not as forgiving as Visual Basic or Delphi. You will lock up your share of computers testig your code.

Tom

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Ex-member
    I think I'm gonna go with C++ - see if I'm up to it.

I'll let you know if I ever develop anything good - it will of course be released as freeware on my site if it's useful.

Thanks for all the advice guys :beerchug:

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    If your gonna go the c route I would learn c first.

The syntax is identical to c++ but it makes you declare placeholders for output and teachers you about declaring variables properly.

c++ is slighty more forgiving but having c behind you is better.

borland give's away a free compiler on there website but it is only command line and the setup is hard. The bloodshed one posted before is excellent but has some major problems dealing with windows.

You could always just get visual c++ there are hashes about for it.

http://www.cprogramming.com/
    c programming in unix.start reading through that will give you a good idea of what is happening when you compile and such.
    http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/final...Forgers.htm#1.3. the top guide for creating a nice gui with c. It is very complicated and you will want to spend at least a few months with console programming before you try this.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Ex-member
    Cheers 4play.

I'm going to try out the free Digital Mars C++ compiler first - it looked pretty good.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    i did E/Eng and it was mainly C if that helps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast