Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going To Learn To Program

Ex-member
    Hey all, I'm going to go to uni in autumn to study a MEng in Computer Science.
    I'd like to learn to program a bit before then, so that I'm well prepared for what I find in uni.

My only previous experience of programming is mucking about in Basic using my old Commodore 64 (64k RAM, 1MHz CPU - those were the days ... that computer still works, you know&#33
    I made a few games - a simple Breakout clone and a version of Snake were my best achievements...

I'd like to start programming some Windows programs - start simple and work my way up. Eventually I'd like to be able to write utilities or programs that I could release as freeware on my website.

So here's the question:
    Which programming language should I use ? My computing teacher in school says C would probably be best - do you agree?
    Also, does anyone know where I could get an assembler and tutorial(s) for whatever language I choose to learn - for free if at all possible?
    My computing teacher recommended this page for learning C...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    java is widely used in first year comp sci
    which uni you going to?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    Delphi is quite a good one, relatively easy to learn, it isn't used too much but that makes it a rare skill

also, it will give a good guide as to how things work, what the commands do etc. All the languages are basically the same, but with different syntax
    <insert signature here>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    java or c++, pacal is a easy one for begginers

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by amphoteric88@12 May 2003 - 13:31
    java is widely used in first year comp sci
    which uni you going to?
    Strathclyde University, Glasgow

I could just be being ignorant here but do Java programs have a GUI? I seem to remember my brother&#39;s Java programs coming up in a DOS window. Since I&#39;m eventually going to want to write programs for general release, I&#39;d definitely prefer a language that allows easy implementation of a Windows interface.

What about Delphi/C?

And what&#39;s the difference between C and C++?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    well done in getting into strathy, it&#39;s quite a good uni. it also has the largest licensed premises in europe, which is nice
    and sometimes you can cheat to getting free games of pool.
    i know quite a few people who go there (including myself) and a lot of them do comp sci.
    you can create a gui in java, but as you say, a lot of the learning is dos based.
    the most advanced thing i&#39;ve ever seen in first year comp sci was a naughts and crosses game, so it doesn&#39;t seem too hard.
    remember to enjoy the summer holidays though (not that you&#39;ll need a lot of encouragement), cos the actual course is pretty hard. maths is exceptionally difficult, but if you&#39;ve done it at advanced higher it shouldn&#39;t be too bad

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Ex-member
    but if you&#39;ve done it at advanced higher it shouldn&#39;t be too bad
    Doing it this year, sitting the exam on the 21st - in 9 days time&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

It&#39;s the same day as the Celtic UEFA cup final game too, and I got AH computing the next day.

So is it easier to create programs with a GUI in C++ or Delphi? (I think Pascal is mostly text based too )

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    C++, Delphi and pascal are good ,maybe you wil get pascal in school.
    The best to begin is in Visual Basic; You wil learn the basics of programming and debugging.
    beacuse this program wil help you with command and lay-out, the other languages.
    So remind that you must start with C++ from a white page where you must program al functions and window properties.

After learing the basics of Public Functions, creating DLL files, Using INI files and more you can begin with C++.
    The best is that you have a beginning manual or templates, just to start.
    Programming you won&#39;t learn very easy, but by using templates and mixing some templates you will learn pretty fast...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    vb is the tool for gui making but it is not the best language to learn first. It starts up bad habits and can only be used on windows.

no one has recommended python. it is free and easily ported to many platforms. creating gui&#39;s is pretty simple and it is also good for making websites. Google uses it for its search engine. It is highly recommended by many of my mates who have programmed for a long while.

C or c++ is a good language to learn but creating a nice gui with it is very complicated and programs are normally confined to one operating system.

I have also seen borland kylix for linux in action. It is a delphi/pascal based tool that has a nice rad interface that lets you make yourself a gui just like visual basic does.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    If you&#39;re wanting to get straight into a GUI then i would suggest VB or delphi/pascal. Out of prefernce i would go with the latter.

But, i would also suggest picking up C++. Although pretty darn hard to learn it&#39;s exceptionally powerful and if you&#39;re wanting to go anywhere with programming it&#39;s a must&#33;

And as 4play said, if you&#39;re going to pick up VB, do it after you&#39;ev had some other experience as from perosnal experience, it does seem to start you on bad habits&#33;

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast