Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bittorrent quicker than Newsgroups?

kidquick
    If there is one thing that really sucks about usenet its ftd
    .What does this mean? Thanks

Ratio's suck on BT.

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    visionaryone
    Quote Originally Posted by thedude0 View Post
    If there is one thing that really sucks about usenet its ftd.
    Why does FTD suck? Is it coz you cant get the ftd program running?

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    Even if it were true and I'm not convinced it is, the one thing Usenet has over torrents is the lack of ratio concerns.

Oh and I always (or as near it as makes no difference) max my download on Usenet, its 10Mb. I'm pleased if I get half that on BT.

So that's two things really.

I agree Speed is my favorite advantage that the usenet has over BT, I have a 10Mb pipe and I downlaoded 15Gigs yesterday, for that reason alone I will take the usenet anyday, newshosting maxes my connection out with no problem.

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    DISABLED PRIVS
    Quote Originally Posted by visionaryone View Post
    If there is one thing that really sucks about usenet its ftd.
    Well the program itself is slow and unstable but thats not the main problem. A lot of ftd uploaders either post their things in the wrong group, without supplying info about their posts or in a dumb way in general.

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by visionaryone View Post

Well the program itself is slow and unstable but thats not the main problem. A lot of ftd uploaders either post their things in the wrong group, without supplying info about their posts or in a dumb way in general.
    Although I'm not really interested in a "why FTD sucks" thread. I do wonder about the impact FTD has on usenet. Indeed, there are a lot of uploaders on FTD that post bad releases in wrong groups, with little or no info (let alone .nfo) files.

My biggest problem with FTD is that it makes it possible for computer illiterates to download LOTS of stuff. RIAA/MPAA will have to do something about usenet. Sooner or later.

Although some claim that the latest releases appear on usenet fast, they certainly do not on the indexing sites that I use. (FTD for example). There are lots of quality TVrips that I miss because I cannot find it, even though I see the release in the predb. For those releases I fall back to BT.

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    FriLock's Avatar Mr. Fantabulous
    I use premium NZB indexing sites like nzbsrus and newzbin and I almost always find what Im looking for, another big factor is that I use a good NSP like newshosting because they have great retention and speed, I have almost completely given up using BT because its slow and if there is something rare Im looking for I usually dont have any luck finding it there either. Like right now I have been looking everwhere for a classic 90's scifi show called the MANTIS and I have had no luck

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    what I see is a release comes up on a private IRC. From their they hit the newsgroups and then on to bit torrent sites. If you are waiting for newsgroup info site to tell you when something has been posted you could be on a second generation copy by that time. If you don't do your own searches you are losing out.

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    julesyeung
    Torrents are good because they take less work. However Usenet is way faster, also, if you are using a router, most routers get totally flooded, and you have to restart your router.

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    kidquick
    Cwhat I see is a release comes up on a private IRC.
    What is IRC? How do you use this service? Is it hard to get into a private IRC? Thanks
    Last edited by kidquick; 11-16-2006 at 10:45 PM.

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Bullet View Post
    If you are waiting for newsgroup info site to tell you when something has been posted you could be on a second generation copy by that time. If you don't do your own searches you are losing out.
    Well, I guess so... TV Shows like lost, prison break etc show up -immediately- everywhere, and usenet downloading is so much easier than BT, so I get that stuff from newsgroups.
    Shows like Mythbusters however, are not always posted to usenet in a hurry (at least I can't find them by searching/nzbsites). For those shows I resort to BT, because sooner or later (usually later) they turn up on the public bittorrent sites.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast