Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Geforce4 Mx440-se Help

Ex-member
    I know that the problem isn't the computer, because it works fine with the ATi 3d Rage Pro 8MB that I got along with the GeForce...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by Lamsey@13 May 2003 - 14:40
    I know that the problem isn't the computer, because it works fine with the ATi 3d Rage Pro 8MB that I got along with the GeForce...
    No, you don't know that. You assume that!
    Until you try different motherboards, you'll never really know. If you are using an older motherboard, you may find that the motherboard is not 100% compatible with the GeFORCE cards.

----------------------------------------------
    A lot of people in this forum say that the GeForce MMX 440 card is "OKAY", but not for serious gamimg. But I have to say, I disagree. I can't afford (I have better ways to waste money) a high tech video card. So I got my VHSC camcorder and video taped actual video game playing on my 17" monitor. The clip is Unreal Tournament set at 16bit high resolution, High texture, 28 frames per second, decals on, with high stereo sound etc.. I nearly put the entire game to the best maximum settings to prove a point. Oh, and I was playing online with several real players (DSL).

I apologize for the amatuer video setup, but I didn't know any other way to capture real video gaming, other than a VHS tape of it. But you can clearly see that the game play is smooth and fun.

Must have XVID codec installed to view!
    Download Video CLIP 1.4mb
    Must have XVID codec installed to view!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Ex-member
    hmm.. looks like I jumped the gun...

will try this.

Cheers

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    I have a G-force verto mx420 64meg sdram made by PNY
    Is this card any good? I picked it up for $100 last year, and was unable to use it because my crappy
    intel 810 chipset mobo is intergrated graphix, and cannot be changed in bios (Board has no option to disable intergrated graphix)
    Anyway, I'm going to build up a pc, and wanted to know if this card is still an "OK" card? (Never got to use it, would hate to just toss it)
    (Its worth about $25 now )

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    i have a geforece 4 mx440 with 64mb ram and i have put all of the options in ALL of my games to the max and guess what flicker and jerk free. the card only cost 45 quid. i think all this hype of new cards is overated myself as i DONT have 160 odd quid for a new card.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    I've heard of people having driver conflicts when switching between ATi and GeForce graphics cards. Use Nasty File Remover to remove any ATi drivers, then re-install the Nvidia drivers for the GeForce 4 MX440. That Might work. I can't remember where I got the "Nasty File Remover" program, but a simple search with Google and you should find it.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    Duties are not performed for duty's sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
    Mark Twain

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    geforce mx420 and 440 cards are just fine. they will work very well with
    games for the price. of course a 300 card will be better but those geforce are
    good bang for the buck. did anyone ask this kid if he installed the drivers
    correctly for his geforce. i hope you didnt just unplug your ATI and then plug in
    the geforce. and NEVER just install video drivers over the old ones.
    remove the old drivers, reboot then install hte new drivers. then install direct x.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Poster
    The symptoms you're having sound like an overclocked victom, but I don't think thats the case here

First off, I have a similar computer to my friends, he's got a geforce4mx440, I've got a geforce 2 Pro, mine blows his out of the water in UT2K3 (in full 32 bit color, even my tnt2 could do 16bit....thats nothing)

To do screen captures and movies, try fraps ( http://www.fraps.com )

Now, as others have said, go into safe mode, and remove all drivers, then reboot, and install the latest WHQL Nvidia drivers, don't do an unofficial, they work most of the time, but can sometimes cause errors

After the latest drivers are installed from www.nvidia.com , install directx again, for some reason this has fixed some of my problems in the past

Now, if its still not working good, you should look into the BIOS, set your AGP apperature at 32meg (because of RAM restraints). Make sure you are running at 4x AGP, and also there should be an option for USWC, or UC (I could have the UC thing wrong, but there are two options, one is USWC), try switching those around

I've got some more ideas if that doesn't work

How much did you have to work with, and what game are you testing? we need to limit some potential variables here

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Originally posted by balamm@15 May 2003 - 09:47

Intel® 810 Chipset Family
    Can The Intel® 810/810E Chipset Graphics Be Disabled?

Some Intel® 810 chipset-based motherboards have a way to disable the onboard graphics in the system BIOS, however many do not. Most motherboards do have a BIOS setting to change the primary graphics adapter to the PCI video card, which should allow PCI video cards to work properly. This will not disable the integrated graphics adapter, instead, it will set it to work as the secondary adapter for multi-monitor support. If you do not wish to use multi monitor, the Intel 810 chipset graphics driver can be disabled (in software) in Device Manager. You should be able to disable the integrated graphics in Device Manager by doing the following:

Right-click on the icon for the Intel® 810 chipset graphics adapter, then click properties.
    Uncheck the item that says "Exists in all hardware profiles"
    Reboot.
    Go back into Device Manager, then back into the properties for the Intel 810 chipset display adapter.
    Click the checkbox for the item that says "Disabled in this hardware profile."
    If that doesn't work, try changing the Intel® 810 chipset graphics driver to the Standard VGA driver. If the primary display adapter is set to PCI in the system BIOS, the integrated graphics should automatically show up as disabled in Device Manager after rebooting.

Try this...

Bye,

I did not clarify enough, here is an answer I got about my particular board on a tech site:
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    ME:
    I want to disable my onboard video so I can install a pci video card, but there's no option
    for this in my bios settings, in the "peripheral config"
    screen I only have two options:
    onboard audio
    onboard modem
    Now I've read you can disable directly on the MB using a
    "jumper"? But I don't know were mine is or how to do this!
    (If in fact I can do this%#$@*&*)
    OK, here goes:
    MOTHERBOARD: brookings
    BIOS VERSION: american megatrends oaavipo1
    INTERGRATED VIDEO: intel-82810e
    NUMBER OF PCI SLOTS: only 2 (no agp either)
    COMPUTER BRAND: gateway essential 633 (piece of garbage)
    CPU: 633 celeron
    RAM: 128
    WINDOWS: millenium edition
    VIDEO CARD I WANT TO USE: Pny verto. NvidiaGeforce4, mx420, 64mg sdram. (yes its pci)

11:34 pm pacific time:
    Ok, still no results. I tried deleting the device driver,
    but it wants to re-install it when I re-boot. To make matters worse, when I try to install the Nvidia drivers
    It says something like: could not find pci chipset (I assume it means it could not find its hardware) But I have
    it plugged into the pci at this point. And it needs the drivers to function, right? Windows can't find it either. In other words I've been all over the place (add hardware ect....) I know I'm missing something but
    thats why I'm here. And if in fact I need to disable the onboard vid directly on the MB, I don't know where this is done. (And I'm trying to refrain from calling the gateway tech line as they have been poor help in the past)
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    ANSWER:
    Knight, the Gateway Essential 633 is really a piece of garbage in terms of installing a video card.

Your computer's onboard graphics controller, which is the Intel 82810E, is an AGP Version 2.0 (4X) compliant integrated graphics controller using an AGP interface on the motherboard. Since it is already an AGP-performing graphics controller, MSI probably deemed that the motherboard no longer need an option for a PCI graphics card, not to mention the only 2 PCI slots. In light of that, your MS-6312 Flex ATX WH11 motherboard, otherwise known as the MSI(Brookings), DOES NOT have a jumper block or BIOS option to disable the integrated 82810E graphics controller. The only jumper block on that motherboard is for the BIOS(CMOS).

So sorry to inform you about this, friend.

If you want to use that PNY Verto card, replace that Gateway motherboard with a Flex ATX-compliant motherboard that will accommodate your Celeron amd memory modules.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast