Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Geforce4 Mx440-se Help

Poster

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Ex-member
    Intel® 810 Chipset Family
    No use - if you read my original post you'll see I have an ECS K7S5A with an SiS735 chipset. Thanks anyway.

did anyone ask this kid if he installed the drivers
    correctly for his geforce. i hope you didnt just unplug your ATI and then plug in
    the geforce. and NEVER just install video drivers over the old ones.
    remove the old drivers, reboot then install hte new drivers. then install direct x.
    Yep - I did all that. I ain't daft

I won't be able to get to the computer for a while seeing as I'm not in school just now, but I'll try putting it into a few other computers to see if it works... I've done everything else suggested here...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    hello, maybe you did not fully uninstall the radeon card you used before on the comp? that cuases some problems and may make artifacts.......

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Xanex's Avatar Poster
    I also have a MX440-SE but it has 128DDR.

I found no problems with my card it been quite flexible with anything ive done.

If u want better performance, nvidia have just relased the Detonator FX drivers 44.03 io think.

Try it with these , it made my games run a bit better than the last set 43.35 i think

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    DivX
    Okay, folks. I've done extensive testing, and I think I've nailed this thing.

Root Cause: Load at 3.3V versus how many amps your PSU provides at 3.3V.

Detail:
    Basically, there is a threshold for stability of your motherboard. If you have too much current drain at 3.3V, your system becomes unstable, and crashes with either a lockup or BSOD.

Fix:
    1. Increase the amount of current delivered at 3.3V by increasing the size of your PSU.
    2. Decrease the amount of load consumed at 3.3V.

How did I determine this?
    1. I increased my PSU to 431W. That at least allowed me to run in 4XAGP, but not without looping.
    2. Removed one 256MB Memory Module, which reduced my load at 3.3V. Everything worked!

At 512MB, I can run 3Dmark2001 successfully in BOTH Windows 2000 and XP without a lockup or crash.

What this means:
    How power is apportioned to the individual components is an electronics engineering issue, and motherboard manufacturers should take heed to this. This is a motherboard manufacturer's issue. What needs to happen is a better apportionment of current, splitting between the AGP bus, memory modules, and all components that use the 3.3V supply.

What this is not:
    1. This is not a Microsoft Windows issue.
    2. This is not an nVidia or ATI driver issue.
    3. This is not a chipset manufacturer issue (VIA, Intel, ALi, SiS), unless of course they manufacturer motherboards.

I hope that helps!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123