Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mpaa ignores usenet

4play's Avatar knob jockey
    In The MPAA Surrenders in War Against Piracy, PCMag commentator Mark Hachman takes the Motion Picture Association of America to task for the blind eye they have seemingly turned towards Usenet giant GUBA. If you aren't familiar with GUBA, they have recently partnered with major movie studios to sell downloadable films, and offer some free user-submitted content, ala YouTube. They have a program for smaller content distributors as well, with an ad-sharing model. But here is the kicker...they are also a company that stores and sells access to Usenet archives, in fact that is how they got started. Interestingly, nearly two terabytes of binary data is added everyday to Usenet, according to a recent report:
    source

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Retired
    Downloading music and movies of usenet is legel in the Netherlands

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by {I}{K}{E} View Post
    Sounds like the place to be

I think the usenet will get left alone because if the old guys in the entertainment industry do finally remove their heads from their asses and change their bussiness models for creative content sales like movies and music, they will realize that the net is, and has been the new content delivery system for quite some time. With NSPs having some of the biggest backends on the planet, I don't think the entertainment industry will bother them any time soon
    Last edited by digitrifecta; 10-19-2006 at 09:32 PM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    MPAA got no choice but to ignore the usenet because one cannot possibly get caught. Aint that right?
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer4eva View Post
    MPAA got no choice but to ignore the usenet because one cannot possibly get caught. Aint that right?
    Yea.
    They can't connect to you. They can't get proof against anyone for doing anything. They are fucked when it comes to Usenet.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Actually you CAN get busted on usenet IF you upload and the authorities want to jump through a few hoops to get to you. People have been busted for uploading stuff, but those cases are EXTREMELY rare on usenet.

But if you only leech and never upload or post, chances are good that you will be OK.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Torrent Addict BT Rep: +2
    I checked GUBA's site a week ago and had believed they went completely legit. If they sell Usenet access, you certainly can't tell from their front page.

Last edited by gbilly72; 10-20-2006 at 11:20 AM.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by {I}{K}{E} View Post
    not for long?

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    who gives a shit, they'll just send u a email anydamway

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    FriLock's Avatar Mr. Fantabulous
    If the usenet is a safe place to share stuff, why not use it instead of BT where it is a lot easier to get busted? I am a noob to the filesharing scene but unless Im mistaken, the usenet is a much better place to download because it is safer and a hell of a lot faster than BT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast