Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: At What Point Will...

Poster
    Originally posted by balamm@13 May 2003 - 19:34
    The processor uses refracted light passed through a swiss cheese type matrix to process data.
    Yeah, and light can pass through itself in multiple angles at different frequencies (colors?). Thus allowing more data transfer occupying the same space.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    one of my university lecturers said he did a bit of work on quantum computers, utilising schroedinger's cat theorum, however, the computer had to be kept in an atmosphere of liquid helium (at 4 degrees centigrade above absolute zero).

p.s. in reply to your earlier (rhetorical) question about what is faster than the speed of light, there is some proof that subatomic particles can be in two places at the same time (thus they can travel faster than light). don't flame this please

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    Originally posted by amphoteric88@13 May 2003 - 19:51
    ...subatomic particles can be in two places at the same time (thus they can travel faster than light). don't flame this please
    No flame dude.

Didn't some scientists do that already? For real. Use light to transmit an image in they way you described?

Is light a WAVE or PARTICAL or BOTH? It is a wave when traveling, but a partical when reflected. Don't flame me on this.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    you've obviously heard of wave-particle duality then.
    i hated doing the equations based on that.

schroedinger's cat theorum suggested that if there were a number of possible energy levels (boxes for the basis of discussion) and there was a particle (cat) in one of the boxes, you could accurately predict which box(or boxes) the cat would be in. this is the basis of quantum computing.

particles can be in two places at once. kind of hard to believe, but it's true

however, no object of sensible size has ever been propelled to the speed of light.
    a theory called relativistic mass (or energy) comes in to play with general objects. this theory suggests (and has been comfirmed through experiment) that as an object increases it's speed (or has it done for it) its mass increases also. which means that as you go faster, you get heavier and the force you need to accelerate becomes greater. therefore at 99.99% of the speed of light, your weight would be almost infinite, so the force required to accelerate would be too large and couldn't be provided by normal energy sources

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    am i the only one confused?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by thisiswhoweare@13 May 2003 - 21:34
    am i the only one confused?
    its not often a topic goes off topic into theoretical physics!

if interested, look in journals for it, it is amazingly interesting
    <insert signature here>

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    lol, sorry for the science.
    maybe we need a science world (just kidding)
    i&#39;m not very good at explaining things, i apologise

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Poster
    Duties are not performed for duty&#39;s sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
    Mark Twain

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    here is a "little" bit of info on the &#39;cat&#39;.
    makes interesting readin, but it&#39;ll take a while to get through

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    i dont think ur alone, i do kinda understand, just cant be bothered understanding it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast