Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Has Anyone Used A Car Scanner?

  1. #1
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    13,839
    I am tired of getting charged a over $100 for a diagnostic at these fucking dealerships so I bought an Auto X-Ray



    I figure it would pay for itself with 1 or 2 uses.

    I have an engine coil pack for each cylinder (8) and when one goes bad you can't tell without a code reader. The dealer charges each fucking time to check this.

    I figure this'll work for future cars as well.

    Has anyone else used one? Do you own one?
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

    Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

  2. Lounge   -   #2
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Mansfield, Nottinghamshir
    Age
    53
    Posts
    11,008
    No but it looks pretty cool.

    All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

  3. Lounge   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman View Post
    I am tired of getting charged a over $100 for a diagnostic at these fucking dealerships so I bought an Auto X-Ray



    I figure it would pay for itself with 1 or 2 uses.

    I have an engine coil pack for each cylinder (8) and when one goes bad you can't tell without a code reader. The dealer charges each fucking time to check this.

    I figure this'll work for future cars as well.

    Has anyone else used one? Do you own one?
    A code reader can be an advantage if you are at all mechanically inclined.

    Generally speaking, you still need some documentation in order to make proper sense out of what the reader will tell you; for example, if it tells you
    the number one cylinder is misfiring, there are several possible causes for that event, ranging from a defective spark plug all the way upstream to the module and/or computer.

    Deciphering which it is, is the problem-a cheap reader will tell you that your cylinder is misfiring, a better one will narrow the list of possible offending parts.

    You can assume the documentation you received with the scanner will be a pale imitation of a real code book-if you're serious about this, you should get one of those, next, and you will probably also find you want a better code-reader, too.

    Once you get all that together, you'll still have the problem of translating a part name to an actual part, and finding same, be it under-the-hood, or wherever else it might be.

    Again, if you're serious, spend a couple of hundred on proper manuals and a good scanner, and see how good you are.

    Those hundred-dollar-bills you've been dropping with your mechanic might begin to seem cheap, once you've bought several hundred in new parts you don't need; remember, for the most part, they cannot be returned for refund or credit.

    On the other hand, you may turn out to be pretty good at diagnosis.

    One never knows, do one?

    I have one around here, somewhere, and I use it occasionally.
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  4. Lounge   -   #4
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    13,839
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman View Post
    I am tired of getting charged a over $100 for a diagnostic at these fucking dealerships so I bought an Auto X-Ray



    I figure it would pay for itself with 1 or 2 uses.

    I have an engine coil pack for each cylinder (8) and when one goes bad you can't tell without a code reader. The dealer charges each fucking time to check this.

    I figure this'll work for future cars as well.

    Has anyone else used one? Do you own one?
    A code reader can be an advantage if you are at all mechanically inclined.

    Generally speaking, you still need some documentation in order to make proper sense out of what the reader will tell you; for example, if it tells you
    the number one cylinder is misfiring, there are several possible causes for that event, ranging from a defective spark plug all the way upstream to the module and/or computer.

    Deciphering which it is, is the problem-a cheap reader will tell you that your cylinder is misfiring, a better one will narrow the list of possible offending parts.

    You can assume the documentation you received with the scanner will be a pale imitation of a real code book-if you're serious about this, you should get one of those, next, and you will probably also find you want a better code-reader, too.

    Once you get all that together, you'll still have the problem of translating a part name to an actual part, and finding same, be it under-the-hood, or wherever else it might be.

    Again, if you're serious, spend a couple of hundred on proper manuals and a good scanner, and see how good you are.

    Those hundred-dollar-bills you've been dropping with your mechanic might begin to seem cheap, once you've bought several hundred in new parts you don't need; remember, for the most part, they cannot be returned for refund or credit.

    On the other hand, you may turn out to be pretty good at diagnosis.

    One never knows, do one?

    I have one around here, somewhere, and I use it occasionally.
    Yeah I've read what you just wrote, off many websites.

    I got this scanner for $140 and wifey's pops works at a dealership.

    For instance, he'll change my engine coil pack but he needs to know which one.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

    Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

  5. Lounge   -   #5
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    Then you've done very well, indeed.

    That's good help.
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  6. Lounge   -   #6
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    13,839
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Then you've done very well, indeed.

    That's good help.
    Yeah thanks for the advice.

    Right now I'm trying to find good prices on the internet for engine coil packs for the Lincoln LS V8. I have to make sure they are reputable.

    Wifey's pop gets discounts on parts so that's always there but I've seen coil packs on the internet for half the cost. I might try one but I have to do more research.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

    Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

  7. Lounge   -   #7
    can you stop calling him wifeys pops, he's your father in law ffs.

  8. Lounge   -   #8
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    13,839
    Awaits j2 to chime in.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

    Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

  9. Lounge   -   #9
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman View Post
    Awaits j2 to chime in.
    I am not aware of any change in your marital status, though I cannot claim to have ever known what it was, given your penchant for "girl" talk.

    If you are indeed married to the lady, you have a father-in-law.

    I assumed your use of the appellation "wifey" to indicate you hadn't done the deed yet.

    I would be extremely wary of any automotive electrical parts purchased over the 'net.
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  10. Lounge   -   #10
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    13,839
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman View Post
    Awaits j2 to chime in.
    I am not aware of any change in your marital status, though I cannot claim to have ever known what it was, given your penchant for "girl" talk.

    If you are indeed married to the lady, you have a father-in-law.

    I assumed your use of the appellation "wifey" to indicate you hadn't done the deed yet.

    I would be extremely wary of any automotive electrical parts purchased over the 'net.
    You are on the money and agreed (as I mentioned).

    I don't know what you mean by girl talk though.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

    Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •