Thread: More News From The Apple/musicsharing Front

Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Well here is the link. Its a real short, but interesting read. I love how the industry is praising Steve Jobs for this new service. I also found the numbers to be staggering. If you build it, they will come. Mr. Jobs has been watching too much of "Field of Dreams." It appears they are quite successful so far.

The 19-year-old's purchases, along with 1 million other tracks sold in the first week of business for Apple Computer Inc.'s online music store, mark a refreshing turn of events for the ailing music industry.
    Proud member of MDS

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Decided to bump this one, due to something weird on tv. Last night I saw two different commercials for Apples new mp3 service. Both commercials had a guy, in his early 30s, singing a song that was playing on his Ipod. After 30 seconds, the message was on screen. 99 cent song downloads. Gotta love Apple. They made a million dollars in week one, and now they are already trying to take over the world by using tv advertising.
    Proud member of MDS

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Jibbler ... I wonder how many of those 99-cent songs will end up on K-Lite (grin).

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    More important, are the files proprietary to the Ipod, or will they work on a Windows platform?
    Proud member of MDS

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Forum Star
    The files are 128 kbit/s AAC encoded files with DRM.

So poor quality and copy protected.

There will be a Windows version available soon from what I have read about it.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    I read in a newspaper that theres already a problem with this new service. Apperently a mac user can download a song for 99 cents and then he / she can somehow share the song with other mac users. I think I read it in the Sun newspaper, so this must be true.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    There is some exploit in Apple's software. Its not new, and its not related to this new program, but I've been told people can massively share files.
    Proud member of MDS

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Paul wrote:

The files are 128 kbit/s AAC encoded files with DRM. So poor quality and copy protected.
    I have a friend with a Mac running OS 9.2 -- and he says some files sound terrible and aren't as "protected" as Apple seems to think they are.

There will be a Windows version available soon from what I have read about it.
    I'll test it out when it's available. But, I expect similar results to Rhapsody's original "secure-listen-only" song-on-demand option which they've since abandoned -- (grin) about a month after I sent email to them and a Wired.com columnist showing them (step by step) how insecure it really was.