Thread: *.sfv

Benno's Avatar Poster
    I have seen a few .sfv files lately, they were in folders i downloaded from soulseek.
    If I open them with notepad they contain the names from all the mp3 files that are in the folder and some numbers.
    Can anybody tell me what they are?

Thanks

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2

Check SFV (Simple File Verification)
    Description
    Some files that you download will come with a .sfv file. This is used to verify that the files that you received are the same as the originals. cksfv is a program that can use the .sfv file to verify the downloaded files. Also, it can be used to create new .sfv files.

(http://www.fodder.org/cksfv/)

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    It's a CRC32 value, not very good and easy to forge. One chance in 4 billion that you won't notice a random error. A file verification program like this should use a cryptographically secure hash algorithm instead. The time it takes to hash data is much faster than reading the data from disk so it should be equally fast as the CRC32 version.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    Thanks
    RN does that mean it doesnt make much sense to check it?

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by Benno@12 May 2003 - 19:02
    Thanks
    RN does that mean it doesnt make much sense to check it?
    I don't check them. I think its a waste of time. Corrupt files aren't as much of an issue anymore, since so many sources are available at close reach.
    Proud member of MDS

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    If it's just a random error in the data then the probability of it not being detected is 1 in 4 billion, but any determined programmer can easily change the data so that it matches the CRC32 value.