Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fakes...

Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by dusk@13 May 2003 - 10:44
    Jibbler the postman size 745.123kb
    Another 900 posts, and maybe I'll think this is funny. I'm not a post whore, or a spammer, nor do I have the desire to prove that to you.

Simply put, usernames on Kazaa aren't unique. This is fact, and there is no getting around it. This is a design flaw in the Kazaa program. So to deal with the problem of fakes files, you don't have alot of choices. AviPreview was designed for precisely this reason.

I'm sure the stores aren't selling fake copies. Maybe you'd rather choose that path instead?
    Proud member of MDS

2. Movies & TV   -   #12
    share4uk's Avatar London Clubber
    Cruel Jibbler , but I agree, I think many people on here need to go to KaZaA Lite School before they start arguments about age old questions like blacklisting usernames etc...
    File Sharer by day... Raver at night...

3. Movies & TV   -   #13
    How about blacklisting bad hashes and correcting good (but mis named) files during search based on an online listing of verified hashes in a database? Send the database a hash during search.. It returns 1 plus the correct file name and title, artist, etc in a semicolon delimited text format for verified file, 0 if its a bad file deletes it, and 2 says it isn't in the database and it does nothing. Or you could send hex codes (same effect). Do this only when the user clicks a button to verify searches. Wouldn't be much harder to implement than the download accelerator except you would be changing listbox items instead of searching them. And the button in the search tab wouldn't be any harder to put in than the K++ auto search more. The database stuff isn't too hard either. It would work much like the database side of audiogalaxy used to and could be easily and quickly done in php with a free sql server database.

4. Movies & TV   -   #14
    as i said before this is a non issue for me.
    i like fakes cause it keeps all the kazaa n00bs from
    finding sources on the REAL file while im downloading it!

5. Movies & TV   -   #15
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Good one sred, I like that!
    Proud member of MDS

6. Movies & TV   -   #16
    ^Another 900 posts, and maybe I'll think this is funny. I'm not a post whore , or a spammer , nor do I have the desire to prove that to you. ^
    ouch, i guess it struck a nerve

(bet hes gonna reply with 2/3 posts)

sred as made a good point there, never seen it from that point of view!

7. Movies & TV   -   #17
    Kabal Posted on 14 May 2003 - 01:19
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How about blacklisting bad hashes and correcting good (but mis named) files during search based on an online listing of verified hashes in a database? Send the database a hash during search.. It returns 1 plus the correct file name and title, artist, etc in a semicolon delimited text format for verified file, 0 if its a bad file deletes it, and 2 says it isn't in the database and it does nothing. Or you could send hex codes (same effect). Do this only when the user clicks a button to verify searches. Wouldn't be much harder to implement than the download accelerator except you would be changing listbox items instead of searching them. And the button in the search tab wouldn't be any harder to put in than the K++ auto search more. The database stuff isn't too hard either. It would work much like the database side of audiogalaxy used to and could be easily and quickly done in php with a free sql server database.

(kabal) nice suggestion, would be reliable specially if it worked around registered users... (fake poster/ban)
    kindalike a forum (maybe postnuke based or something like that) would be a good way... id put up with server/mysql.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12