Thread: Copyright Bust Down Under

echidna's Avatar Poster
    three students charced with costing the 'industry' $60 million
    see here
    same old whiners Universal Music, Sony, Warner, BMG, EMI and Festival Mushroom Records
    wonder what got them caught?
    where else outside the USA are busts increasing?
    what nations are copyright 'free/optional'?
    and
    what are free hosts in these nations?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    much better article here
    clearly not p2p but indicates the willingness of anti-leech to sell out or be circumvented

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    The arrest of three men in Sydney last week for criminal charges relating to online music piracy has been described as the first prosecution of its kind
    We can see who the Australian Federal Police represent it's certainly not the people.

Also they havn't been convicted yet, so i dont know what there talking about with prosecution

The site allegedly attracted millions of online visitors from around the world and, according to the police, held illegal MP3 files worth $60 million in lost revenue to record companies such as Universal Music, Sony, Warner, BMG, EMI and Festival Mushroom Records.
    Lost revenue? how do they know this, do they know the people who downloaded files?, did people who downloaded the music buy the cd's?? who knows but they certainly dont.

The federal Attorney-General, Daryl Williams, congratulated the federal police and the music industry on their co-operation.
    Daryl williams is a fuckwit who doesnt give a shit about Australian citizens, he with John Howard tried to introduce laws that gave powers to Authoritys that even the US hasn't, like giving the ASIO(equilvent of the CIA) the ability to hold and interrograte indiviuals over the age of 12 without legal represention for 48 hours but the senate refused to pass it.

It's not even clear if they hosted any files, but there mistake was probaly to host it on an Australian server.

But the worrying thing is this is being treated as a criminal matter, while in the US it's only been civilian matter.

I hope these guy's fight it to the end, but this is not directly related to p2p which is sharing and I suspect they had an mp3 site to make money.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Lost revenue? how do they know this, do they know the people who downloaded files?, did people who downloaded the music buy the cd's?? who knows but they certainly dont.
    It never fails to amaze me HOW the music/movie industry continuosly comes up with these HORRENDOUS figures without ever verifying or explaining how they determined them.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    I can't speak for everyone else, but downloading of music has *not* resulted in my buying less. Never have I wanted to buy a CD but instead downloaded the music just to save money. And the recording industries never asked about my buying habits, so they definitely didn't take me into consideration when coming up with those BS numbers.

If anything, I think eBay has resulted in more lost sales for the recording industies than any other medium. I've bought countless CDs (and pc and console games) on eBay and my money went to another person, not an egotistical, arrogant, extremely overpaid corporate bigshot bigwig. I think the companies that are complaining about the loss of $ are barking up the wrong tree.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    BANNED
    heres a new one gain ridiculous waqy to get caught

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    "Infringement of copyright deprives artists, record companies and other copyright owners of their legitimate income," he said in a statement, adding it also caused a loss of taxation revenues.

I think the relevant part of this statement is the "loss of taxation revenues". I'm guessing that the Aussie government could care less about the lost income for artists (except maybe Rolf Harris) and record companies, but screw with Tax revenues and watch out!
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Originally posted by junkyardking@13 May 2003 - 10:23
    The site allegedly attracted millions of online visitors from around the world and, according to the police, held illegal MP3 files worth $60 million in lost revenue to record companies such as Universal Music, Sony, Warner, BMG, EMI and Festival Mushroom Records.
    Well, lets not forget, I believe they value a file at $150,000 each, so to get to $60,000,000 it would only take 400 files being shared.

Though lets not forget the four colledge students who were sharing a combined 2,500,000 files and were then fined, combined, about $60,000. Thus each file being valued at about $0.024 (a little over 2 cents).

Can you imagine going to buy $150,000 car, and the guy says "ok, just give me 2 cents", wow they know how to bargain, huh.

By the way if you guys are listening that means you can negotiate the $60,000,00 down to $10. Will that be cash, check or charge. Yup, just make it out to "Really Irittating Alliance of Assholes"

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    I share, I admit it, but I don't post all my files on an easily identifiable website. What a bunch of morons. In this case they deserve to be punished [for their stupidity].

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by REALITY@14 May 2003 - 23:08
    Well, lets not forget, I believe they value a file at $150,000 each, so to get to $60,000,000 it would only take 400 files being shared.  

Though lets not forget the four colledge students who were sharing a combined 2,500,000 files and were then fined, combined, about $60,000. Thus each file being valued at about $0.024 (a little over 2 cents).
    at that rate kazaa is worth $121,303,889,550,000 [does anyone know what this number is called?]
    with 808692597 files shared and a fine amount of $19,408,622.328