Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Whats The Best Firewall

echidna's Avatar Poster
    thanx for the tip i just tested black ice and found that indeed the outgoing protections are non existant

now that i know i've gotta choose between sygate and zonealarm
    i used to use zonealarm and found it's interface a bit lame and am sick of nortons huge behemoth applications
    so maybe sygate

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Originally posted by balamm@14 May 2003 - 04:41
    !

2003-05-13 07:59:08 24.27.172.150 - **.**.**.** 80 GET /default.ida
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3
    %u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u9090%u8190%u00c3%u0003%u8b00%u531b%u53ff%u007
    8%u0000%u00=a 200 -

Thanks to Our friends at roadrunner.com again NOT

explain for us non code readers

though i have a good idea of what it might be
    I am Member No. : 193 <--- yes there was a time when that was a lot

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    I recommend Sygate Personal Firewall. Free, Small, Easy to use.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    symantec intruder alert 3.6
    corporate, of course

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Poster
    Norton Personal Firewall 2003 for me.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Poster
    Originally posted by the-ninja69+14 May 2003 - 04:54--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (the-ninja69 @ 14 May 2003 - 04:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--ShockAndAwe^i^@13 May 2003 - 20:14
    I used to love Black Ice But I had to uninstall it 2 days ago as it was causing major disk errors.(cluster losses)
    I ran it for months with little problems then all of a sudden it started to conflict with norton and I eventually had to reformat.
    Also there were leaks.
    Things did get through when it was&#39;nt supposed to.
    Go here and dl leakTest from Gibson Research
    http://grc.com/default.htm
    They have all kinds of stuff to test your firewall.
    Also problems have recently been discoverd with Black Ice and pulled from some dl sites.
    Ask Balamm if you want more info&#33;

I wish they would fix it because I really rather would run it instead of ZAP.
    Ok i dont know wtf your talking about. Maybe this has only happen to you. But all my friends and I who use BlackIce have never had these problems you discovered. Whatever happen to you must be rare.

Disk Errors. WTF&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; and you had to reformat you must have one fu*cked up comp seriosuly. I think you are giving Blackice a bad name because it is a great product and seems error free to me.

Also most hackers i know agree that BlackIce is the best to use from protections. ZAP has a lot of holes and easy to get through so if you want to know what protects you best against ppl who do this to you i would surely go with BlackIce.

DEFINATELY NOW ZAP. Go with NPF 2003 if you have to. [/b][/quote]
    You and your "Hacker" buddies are so Fuckin&#39; smart.
    Keep running it&#33;

Dickhead&#33;

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    BANNED
    Originally posted by the-ninja69+14 May 2003 - 04:54--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (the-ninja69 @ 14 May 2003 - 04:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--ShockAndAwe^i^@13 May 2003 - 20:14
    I used to love Black Ice But I had to uninstall it 2 days ago as it was causing major disk errors.(cluster losses)
    I ran it for months with little problems then all of a sudden it started to conflict with norton and I eventually had to reformat.
    Also there were leaks.
    Things did get through when it was&#39;nt supposed to.
    Go here and dl leakTest from Gibson Research
    http://grc.com/default.htm
    They have all kinds of stuff to test your firewall.
    Also problems have recently been discoverd with Black Ice and pulled from some dl sites.
    Ask Balamm if you want more info&#33;

I wish they would fix it because I really rather would run it instead of ZAP.
    Ok i dont know wtf your talking about. Maybe this has only happen to you. But all my friends and I who use BlackIce have never had these problems you discovered. Whatever happen to you must be rare.

Disk Errors. WTF&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; and you had to reformat you must have one fu*cked up comp seriosuly. I think you are giving Blackice a bad name because it is a great product and seems error free to me.

Also most hackers i know agree that BlackIce is the best to use from protections. ZAP has a lot of holes and easy to get through so if you want to know what protects you best against ppl who do this to you i would surely go with BlackIce.

DEFINATELY NOW ZAP. Go with NPF 2003 if you have to. [/b][/quote]
    m8 have a read throught this article,if u don&#39;t want to read it all
    scroll down to the bottom and theres a section on firewalls,which might change u and ur (friends( minds about blackice

here

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    BANNED
    Then again the articles extremely long+i&#39;m bored so i&#39;ve cut and pasted the section for u

Personal Firewalls and IRC Zombie/Bot Intrusions

ZoneAlarm v2.6 (Free) —

The last of my testing was to see whether the firewall I keep telling everyone to use: ZoneAlarm — either FREE or Pro — would be effective in stopping the IRC Zombie/Bot and the Sub7 Servers that had taken up residence in my poor "Sitting Duck" laptop.

I downloaded the current, completely free, version of ZoneAlarm 2.6 from the ZoneLabs web site and installed it on the "Sitting Duck" laptop. Upon restarting the machine I was gratified to receive immediate notification that the Zombie/Bot was attempting to make an outbound connection to its IRC chat server.

Meanwhile, the Sub7 Trojan was sitting quietly waiting for someone to connect to it. So I used another machine to "Telnet" to the port the Sub7Server Trojan was listening on. Up popped ZoneAlarm asking whether the nonsense-looking random character name the Sub7Server had chosen for itself should be allowed to accept a connection from the Internet.

Perfect performance from ZoneAlarm.

Then I had a thought: What would Network ICE&#39;s BlackICE Defender do under the same circumstances?

BlackICE Defender v2.5 (&#036;39.95) —

I did not have a current copy of BlackICE Defender around, but I felt that this was an important test. So I laid out &#036;39.95 through Network ICE&#39;s connection to the Digital River eCommerce retailer and purchased the latest version (v2.5) of BlackICE Defender hot off the Internet. I had already removed all traces of ZoneAlarm and restarted the machine, so I installed BlackICE Defender, let everything settle down, and restarted the machine with my packet sniffer running on an adjacent PC.

As far as I could tell, BlackICE Defender had ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER on the dialogs being held by the Zombies and Trojans running inside the poor "Sitting Duck" laptop. I knew that BlackICE Defender was a lame personal firewall, but this even surprised me.

The Zombie/Bot happily connected without a hitch to its IRC chat server to await further instructions. The Sub7 Trojan sent off its eMail containing the machine&#39;s IP and the port where it was listening. Then it connected and logged itself into the Sub7 IRC server, repeating the disclosure of the machine&#39;s IP address and awaiting port number. No alerts were raised, nothing was flashing in the system tray. The Trojans were not hampered and I received no indication that anything wrong or dangerous was going on.

I took a lot of grief after my LeakTest utility cut right through BlackICE Defender. Network ICE told everyone that LeakTest was "being allowed through" because it was a completely benign Trojan. I knew that was a load of bull (and they must have too), but it didn&#39;t really matter to me, and I had no affirmative means of proving otherwise.

Well... I have that now, and so do you.

I performed one final test: As I had with ZoneAlarm, I attempted to connect to the Sub7Server Trojan running inside the "Sitting Duck" machine on the IP and listening port number the Trojan was advertising all over the Internet... and it worked perfectly. I received Sub7&#39;s "PWD" prompt asking me to login.

Anyone want an "only used once"
    copy of BlackICE Defender?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    FST Retiree
    Originally posted by N£MO@14 May 2003 - 02:25
    Norton Personal Firewall 2003 for me.
    same here....true, it is a bit bulky compared to some of the others, but symantec seems to be on top of all the new threats that come out. their quick response to these threats wins my approval

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Poster
    Fuckin&#39; Excellent&#33;

Leaktest went right through mine&#33;

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast