Thread: 8800 GPU Already Obsolete: Nvidia Preps G84, G86

frizshizzle's Avatar now paranoid. BT Rep: +1
    I don’t know if the weak demand for the newest and most powerful graphic cards on the market is to be blamed, but rumor has it that Nvidia is already preparing the next generation of GPUs, that will replace the current one.

Despite the extraordinary high processing capacities of 8800 GTX and GTS, enthusiastic gamers seem to have kept their money to buy a PS3 or a Wii, because demand for the two types of top video cards is lagging.

Last week, it emerged that Nvidia's ForceWare 96.94 driver package contained references to the G80-200, G80-400, G80-600, G80-850 and G80-875 GPUs. At this stage, it's unclear which, if any, of these chip IDs are the G86 and G84.

No details about the new chips have been made available to date, but it seems Nvidia has already finished the roadmap for them. Taiwanese manufacturers are expecting the samples from the new products sometimes next year, in January or February 2007.

Nvidia is in tight competition with AMD (which recently completed the acquisition of ATI) for dominance in the high-end graphics area. AMD-ATI also expects to ship its R600 series of GPUs in the first quarter of 2007. The R600 will of course be Direct X 10, Shader Model 4.0 compliant.

----------------
    so those using G80s were Guinea Pigs?
    bit like the T850 "I'm an obsolete assigned"

Source: http://www.playfuls.com/news_05243_8...s_G84_G86.html
    Last edited by frizshizzle; 11-21-2006 at 05:09 AM.

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    raspberry1331's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    ive read somewhere that G84 and G86 just the non-gamer versions of the new card... so i guess it wont be obsolete.