Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is File Sharing Illegal?

emtpr665
    i was a little bored so i was in download.com reading the reviews of kazaa users just for fun. so many users were telling stories about friends of them that are sued right now for being sharing files over kazaa but they did mention kazaa, not kazaalite, so, if there is any chance that i can get sue by the fcc or any other goverment agency just for being sharing and downloading files in kazaalite? i have the k++ version ( pl 1,000 ) just to let you know...... thanks in advance for replying my question......

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    TClite's Avatar Poster
    yeah its very illegal, if your sharing copyright material, and theres a slim chance you can get caught and get sued,its all at your own risk - file sharing

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    sad so would it be illegal to invite all these downloaders to your place to watch it on DVD, instead of letting them watch it on their computer. Very shady laws out there

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Forum Star
    I think that the majority of comments on download.com is false, or perhaps even planted there by for example the RIAA to scare users.

Luckily Kazaa Lite has a privacy patch. With that the changes of getting caught are even smaller.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    no one ever tryed to ban VCRs that could record from television or be hooked together to dub tape to tape
    or cassette decks that could record CDs or radio
    you can even by DVD recorders which will record television and cut it to DVD

why can they be so inconsistent? why didn't these other technologies 'cost millions in lost sales'? what's wrong with the world?

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    its illegal to let a friend watch a dvd/vhs with you unless he owns a copy

its illegal to broadcast music to people who do not own it

its illegal to let people play computer games who do not own it

you see where im coming from??

anyway its only illegal if you get caught

lets them come for me, i download a few GB per day and sharing about 75-80GB

come get me

fuck Derby County

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    VCRs have had macrovision encoding for years, which was supposed to stop tape to tape copies. Of course, it wasn't long before a "macrovision eliminator" reached the market. Television studios were livid when they found out that Replay TV had a channel skip which allowed users to bypass their advertisements. Soon they began to support TIVO instead, because it doesn't offer that feature. Its merely a push/pull tug of war on the financial front, and we are the rope.
    Proud member of MDS

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Originally posted by echidna@14 May 2003 - 04:08
    no one ever tryed to ban VCRs that could record from television or be hooked together to dub tape to tape
    or cassette decks that could record CDs or radio
    you can even by DVD recorders which will record television and cut it to DVD

Yeah they did try actually...

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Originally posted by Paul_NFFC@14 May 2003 - 14:57
    its illegal to let a friend watch a dvd/vhs with you unless he owns a copy

its illegal to broadcast music to people who do not own it

its illegal to let people play computer games who do not own it
    I'm not convinced about the truth of these statements I'm afraid, can you provide links? .....

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by amphoteric88@14 May 2003 - 17:12
    it's not illegal to broadcast music to those who don't own it.
    if your in the UK read the top of the music CD

"quote"

"unauthorised copying,hiring,lending,public performance and broadcasting of this recording is prohibited"

"unquote"

obviously radio stations arent illegal..you wouldent know what music is good and whats crap if you didnt hear them 1st

but it IS illegal to broadcast a music cd , stupid i know, but thats how it is

EDIT: TYPO

fuck Derby County

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast