Thread: Software Files

I'm going to give up sharing application files. I have over 100 Music/Movie-TV Show files I'm sharing but I'm sick on downloading some application files then having to delete them because a virus. I was just downloading a ROM and my virus detecter found a virus before the download was finished and deleted it. The thing is if the virus had worked all my applications would be renamed .exe even if it wasn't one. And it did, so it didn't finish but it had already corrupted my Kazaa shared applications otherwise someone else (who may not have a virus detector) would get infected. I'm sick of script kiddies who think they're ub8r c00L because they know how to spread virus's they couldn't make.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    did you scan the the file after downloading?
    PLEASE help me get my Free IPOD! my brother got his 4 days ago and i need help with referrals. the screensavers just aired a story and it works. Just use my referral link and i suggest the 2 week blockbuster trial. you won't owe anything! http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=10154369

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    My virus protector caught the virus before it finished downloading.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    and the virus still had a chance to corrupt you system? or just infect your kazaa? either way it sucks that people do that shit.
    PLEASE help me get my Free IPOD! my brother got his 4 days ago and i need help with referrals. the screensavers just aired a story and it works. Just use my referral link and i suggest the 2 week blockbuster trial. you won't owe anything! http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=10154369

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Actually, from what my virus detector said I'm not positive what it would do to my system. It did get a chance to change the kazaa files but I don't think my detector caught that cause that doesn't actually do anything to my system. Then when it tried to do something to my system the detector caught it and deleted it. It only runs when you download the file so the other .exe files that people could downloadd off me didn't do anything.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    How in the world did the virus corrupt anything if it was stopped during the download?
    I dl software all the time and this is an acceptable risk if your running NAV.
    My NAV stops them in the dl all the time and either quarantines it or asks me what to do.
    Once this happens the computer is froze and it's impossible for the virus to spread!
    If this scares you maybe you should'nt dl software.
    Free up the network for ME!!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    luis1987
    One important thing you should know is that onece you delete or quarantine a infected file you loose information valuable pertaning to the download. so even if you finish downloading the file will be corrupt.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Well, I won't stop sharing my music and video files it's just annoying when I have to delete my other applications.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    How come you have to delete apps when your antivirus is on protecting your comp?
    The only way a virus will get through is if it's brand new or you don't have your virus defs up to date or you don't have it running and you think you do.
    Hehehe
    the ladder happened to me once and I did have to delete some exe's...but that was my fault.
    The fact is I think your scared because you see NAV popup BIG and RED warning you of a virus.
    This is a great thing and not to be feared.
    You should see this from time to time if you like to dl software.
    This combined with a spybot type program and a good process viewer will keep you safe and or aware.
    Processes,processes,processes.

Oh yeah a good firewall too

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Originally posted by XSpikeX@13 May 2003 - 13:11
    I'm going to give up sharing application files. I have over 100 Music/Movie-TV Show files I'm sharing but I'm sick on downloading some application files then having to delete them because a virus. I was just downloading a ROM and my virus detecter found a virus before the download was finished and deleted it. The thing is if the virus had worked all my applications would be renamed .exe even if it wasn't one. And it did, so it didn't finish but it had already corrupted my Kazaa shared applications otherwise someone else (who may not have a virus detector) would get infected. I'm sick of script kiddies who think they're ub8r c00L because they know how to spread virus's they couldn't make.
    Confucious once said: "To download from verified source is good, to download at your own risk is just that"
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"