Thread: Gears of War... Quadrilogy?

frizshizzle's Avatar now paranoid. BT Rep: +1
    If you're still not tired of all the Gears of War news appearing over the past couple of weeks, you might be interested to know that, as far as the game's story and its devs from Epic are concerned, there is still room for plenty more episodes in the series. What it all comes down to, eventually, is how well will each episode sell. And since the first Gears of War has already sold 1 million copies worldwide in the first two weeks, you can bet your dearest possessions (and your stashed-up PS3 money) that there will be a Gears of War 2 sequel. And maybe then some.

Cliff "CliffyB" Bleszinski from Epic Games has long since hinted that he would like to make a Gears of War trilogy, but it wasn't until a few days ago that a Microsoft official (Jeff Bell, VP of Global Marketing) referred to the game's universe as a trilogy, in an interview with GameDaily:

"The goal of this ad is to establish Marcus Fenix as the hero of the Gears of War trilogy. The intention is to create emotional connection with him that is lacking in typical third-person action title marketing, by communicating a sense of desperation, loneliness, overwhelming odds, and the ultimate futility of the situation he faces."
    "Gears is a trilogy?" - Epic Games VP, Mark Rein tends to disagree on the official forums, but for the best!

"If we can keep making quality games that fans obviously love then why would we have to stop at three? (...) There's definitely, as many of you have pointed out, a lot more to learn about what's really happening on the plant [sic] Sera and in the lives of the members of Delta Squad.
    (...)
    If Gears had flopped we certainly wouldn't be thinking about a sequel. So when we said "let's wait and see how the first one does before we commit to a second" we definitely meant it. Likewise the same is true for third or fourth, or seventh or tenth I think we made it clear that this game is part of a bigger story and if this one did well then the story would unfold in another one."
    But before the Gears of War 2 as-good-as-official sequel enters full-scale production, Epic still has more in store for the first one, in terms of downloadable content and various enhancements. "We're not ready to provide any details yet", Mark teases, "but I assure you we're on the job". Well then, keep up the good job!

-----------
    13.5% of 360ers have this game. stop with the gow news friz! where's RFOM news?

Source: http://www.playfuls.com/news_8379_Ge...uadrilogy.html

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Mike Nelson's Avatar Poster
    If Gears had flopped we certainly wouldn't be thinking about a sequel.
    Successful game gets sequel. Shocking.

The game is overrated but it's still quite a good game. Nice graphics, which seems to be the prerequisite for a game to be judged as good...

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nelson View Post
    If Gears had flopped we certainly wouldn't be thinking about a sequel.

The game is overrated but it's still quite a good game. Nice graphics, which seems to be the prerequisite for a game to be judged as good...
    You think a great game is overrated. Shocking.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Mike Nelson's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

Sorry I'm no sheep.

It's a good game, an 8/10 game, 80%, Grade C, Bronze Medal. Not great though. No.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!

Sorry I'm no sheep.
    Me either. I rarely get up for a mediocre game and definitely won't stick with one.

I haven't played many great games in the last coupla years but I'll put GOW as the best one I've played this year (so far since I haven't finished it yet).

The last great game I played was RE4.

I like how GOW changes up some gameplay elements as you progress.

For instance, after dusk you can't roam in the dark cuz the Kryll (batlike Pitch Black rip-offs) would kill you almost instantly. So you have to find ways to stay in the light while fighting Locusts. The Locust are not immune either.

How far have you got in the game?

Right now I'm trying to get to car.

I'm thinking the next great game I play (after Gears of course) will be the new Zelda but haven't opened it yet. I'll conquer that after GOW. Resistance: Fall Of Man is pretty good too but I only played a little of that.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 11-27-2006 at 01:03 AM.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel

Sorry I'm no sheep.
    Me either. I rarely get up for a mediocre game and definitely won't stick with one.

I haven't played many great games in the last coupla years but I'll put GOW as the best one I've played this year (so far since I haven't finished it yet).

The last great game I played was RE4.

I like how GOW changes up some gameplay elements as you progress.

For instance, after dusk you can't roam in the dark cuz the Kryll (batlike Pitch Black rip-offs) would kill you almost instantly. So you have to find ways to stay in the light while fighting Locusts. The Locust are not immune either.

How far have you got in the game?

Right now I'm trying to get to car.

I'm thinking the next great game I play (after Gears of course) will be the new Zelda but haven't opened it yet. I'll conquer that after GOW. Resistance: Fall Of Man is pretty good too but I only played a little of that.
    Nah, stay away from resistance, it's a mundane FPS nothing revolutionary, it has no new innovations whatsoever. But if you wanna dish out that much money for a PS3 be my guest. At best it'd be a game to rent or something when you're bored...really really really bored.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.