Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poisoned Spy?

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    The only differenece between this 'assassination' and others is the fact that he lived for a few days after the incident and was able to point a finger.
    The fact that this is happening on a regular basis by almost every country tends to make most people a little blas'e about the spying game.

If they caught one of the 'spies' and put them on trial, that would make it more interesting.
    Such is the life of a spy, eh?

I can imagine, however, he might have had actual knowledge of some of the others who've been done in so "mysteriously" in the past several years.

We'll probably never know.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    Do you think that the Russians would be wrong if they targeted a defecting spy?
    This is germane precisely how?
    The "What if it was Bush?" qualification was aimed at The, only.
    I would go for that if your thread starting post hadn't been worded in the way it was because "non americans" hadn't started a thread yet.
    However if you are going to ask a "what if" question then it seems reasonable that you answer the reverse question.

I've already noted Litvinenko's contention that he was poisoned over his stance on Putin and Putin's politics, and in context with the murders of a string of journalists and other players who weren't Putin fans.
    But he was a spy also, this is important. The fact that he says he is being targeted purely because of his stance on putin doesn't make it so.
    I will concede that it may be a part of it in that if he is critical of his former country what else is he talking about? .................remember he was a spy.

Are you so obsessed with what I think (or rather, what you think I think) that you can't muster a viewpoint, or haven't the wherewithal to construct the underpinnings for one?
    "what you think I think" then why did I ask you what you think If I already knew? I asked a question to find out what you think.
    I asked a simple question which you danced around and didn't answer, so I re-worded it and asked again.

It was a simple question, why are you getting so upset about it?.

Do you really hate being asked questions that much, or do you just hate answering?

Back to the importance of him being a spy and your thread starting post. It's a simple question. If Russia would be justified in targeting a spy then why would anyone start a thread about his death?
    the question was would russia be wrong, you said affimative which to my mind says that russia has no justification
    so my next question would be, would the US be justified in targeting one of our spies should they "defect" to say Iran or North Korea and start bad mouthing us, or even if they just defect.
    Personally I would prefer that the spy way captured, brought home and tried, as I would like all countries to do..........I don't think that happens.

Oh, and as to your question - which I've quoted, accurately - I will answer in the affirmative...if it is determined somehow that he was targetted over his previous clandestine activities, rather than his dissident status, which you haven't seen fit to note.
    see above
    You noted that you don't know that they did target him in connection with his past clandestine activities, will you say the same about his being targeted for his stance on putin?
    Had he not been a spy then the dissident status would be all there was. On the other hand you seem to wish to ignore that he was a spy. This is odd because the thread title is "poisoned spy?". They will always be treated by a different standard, there is a reason for this and they know it.

BTW-

After six years in Britain, I think he qualifies as "defected", rather than defecting.

The heat had long left the moment, I'd say.
    My question was simple and general. It was about if a nation had justification to target spies that cross over. Timespan is of little importance. They may feel that the defector is a low risk to begin with but his/her behavior over time may change that assessment.

Now on the theory that putin's critics are being dropped I will say that it's entirely possibly and even probable that things like that happen. Of course Putin will deny it. The validity of the word of a leader is up to the people who own the ears that hear the words..........

We don't torture.
    Last edited by vidcc; 11-25-2006 at 11:02 PM. Reason: edit edit edit, too much noise here to concentrate

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23

This is germane precisely how?
    The "What if it was Bush?" qualification was aimed at The, only.
    I would go for that if your thread starting post hadn't been worded in the way it was because "non americans" hadn't started a thread yet.
    However if you are going to ask a "what if" question then it seems reasonable that you answer the reverse question.

I've already noted Litvinenko's contention that he was poisoned over his stance on Putin and Putin's politics, and in context with the murders of a string of journalists and other players who weren't Putin fans.
    But he was a spy also, this is important. The fact that he says he is being targeted purely because of his stance on putin doesn't make it so.
    I will concede that it may be a part of it in that if he is critical of his former country what else is he talking about? .................remember he was a spy.

Are you so obsessed with what I think (or rather, what you think I think) that you can't muster a viewpoint, or haven't the wherewithal to construct the underpinnings for one?
    "what you think I think" then why did I ask you what you think If I already knew? I asked a question to find out what you think.
    I asked a simple question which you danced around and didn't answer, so I re-worded it and asked again.

It was a simple question, why are you getting so upset about it?.

Do you really hate being asked questions that much, or do you just hate answering?

Back to the importance of him being a spy and your thread starting post. It's a simple question. If Russia would be justified in targeting a spy then why would anyone start a thread about his death?
    the question was would russia be wrong, you said affimative which to my mind says that russia has no justification
    so my next question would be, would the US be justified in targeting one of our spies should they "defect" to say Iran or North Korea and start bad mouthing us, or even if they just defect.
    Personally I would prefer that the spy way captured, brought home and tried, as I would like all countries to do..........I don't think that happens.

Oh, and as to your question - which I've quoted, accurately - I will answer in the affirmative...if it is determined somehow that he was targetted over his previous clandestine activities, rather than his dissident status, which you haven't seen fit to note.
    see above
    You noted that you don't know that they did target him in connection with his past clandestine activities, will you say the same about his being targeted for his stance on putin?
    Had he not been a spy then the dissident status would be all there was. On the other hand you seem to wish to ignore that he was a spy. This is odd because the thread title is "poisoned spy?". They will always be treated by a different standard, there is a reason for this and they know it.

BTW-

After six years in Britain, I think he qualifies as "defected", rather than defecting.

The heat had long left the moment, I'd say.
    My question was simple and general. It was about if a nation had justification to target spies that cross over. Timespan is of little importance. They may feel that the defector is a low risk to begin with but his/her behavior over time may change that assessment.

Now on the theory that putin's critics are being dropped I will say that it's entirely possibly and even probable that things like that happen. Of course Putin will deny it. The validity of the word of a leader is up to the people who own the ears that hear the words..........

We don't torture.
    Oh, ffs...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    [QUOTE=vidcc;1569844]
    Personally I would prefer that the spy way captured, brought home and tried ..
    Tried with what, bad mouthing the US? Is that a crime now?

My question was simple and general. It was about if a nation had justification to target spies that cross over.
    What do you mean by 'cross over'? Don't spies have the right to leave a country that is plotting to kill him? Crossing over, in the spy game, is usually associated with working for the other side, there is no evidence that this is the case here, his opposition was as part of a dissident group opposed to the government of Putin, that is not a crime.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Haven't read the whole thread yet, but on the news recently they said both that he had died and that he had information regarding the Putin government attempting to strike up another war with Chechnya.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins View Post

I see.

Will you be visiting every other thread which holds no interest for you so you can post to that effect?

Better get busy.
    sorry for soiling your thread

you asked if anyone should care. i answered. deal with it
    I have.

Then I asked why you posted to note for us your apathy on the subject and I wondered why you bothered.

Deal with it.

well, if the question wasn't along the lines of should we be apathetic, i would never have registered my apathy

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    lynx's Avatar .
    What I find really amazing is the different response by the West to two political murders.

First we have the murder of Pierre Gemayel in Lebanon, which provokes outrage and Syria targetted finger pointing from the West, yet there is no evidence that Syria is even involved and there are several reasons why Western leaning organisations would have committed this murder simply to elicit an anti-Syria response.

Then we have the murder of Alexander Litvinenko, clearly the work of some Russian based organisation, with the possibility that innocent bystanders present at the site of his poisoning may have been affected, but there's no outrage, no finger pointing, merely a calm response to the Russian authorities for any information they may have.

I don't attribute more importance to one murder or the other, but the response goes a long way to explain why the West gets less cooperation from places like Syria.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Mr Litvinenko named his killer. He said his name was Igor. WOW! what a lead for Scotland Yard and MI5.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Mr Litvinenko named his killer. He said his name was Igor. WOW! what a lead for Scotland Yard and MI5.
    Now they just need to ask the KGB Russian security agencies for information on anyone called Igor. There can't be many.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    What I find really amazing is the different response by the West to two political murders.

First we have the murder of Pierre Gemayel in Lebanon, which provokes outrage and Syria targetted finger pointing from the West, yet there is no evidence that Syria is even involved and there are several reasons why Western leaning organisations would have committed this murder simply to elicit an anti-Syria response.

Then we have the murder of Alexander Litvinenko, clearly the work of some Russian based organisation, with the possibility that innocent bystanders present at the site of his poisoning may have been affected, but there's no outrage, no finger pointing, merely a calm response to the Russian authorities for any information they may have.

I don't attribute more importance to one murder or the other, but the response goes a long way to explain why the West gets less cooperation from places like Syria.
    Why, everybody knows Gemayal was assassinated not for any sort of political reason, but for rubbing another man's rhubarb.

Honestly lynx, your default position always seems to be the one with the most salacious and conspiratory potential.

Actually, I meant to start a thread about Gemayal's demise yesterday, but my plate was a bit full.

I would have begun by casting about for opinions as to the nature of the intent of those responsible, but I'd have thought we'd get at least a couple of pages into it before anyone made that assertion.

-Mark Twain

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast