Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: The USS Liberty incident

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    "Yank" and "Yankee" are and have been used by foriegners to refer to Americans.
    Not really old bean. I don't know anyone who refers to Americans as Yankees.

I think it's probly a word that came here when you chaps came over in WWII and we have always used it to refer to all Americans. It's possible that some Americans referred to others as Yankees and that became Yanks here.

There's a classic Hancock episode, from decades ago. It makes several references to "The Yanks Are Coming"

2. Lounge   -   #42
    most boring thread ever?

3. Lounge   -   #43
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw View Post
    most boring thread ever?
    Is that kind of like posting you don't give two shits about it.

4. Lounge   -   #44
    "Yank" and "Yankee" are and have been used by foriegners to refer to Americans.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    Game set and match.

5. Lounge   -   #45
    look dude.. this AINT english class. i can type how i feel, now if you cant read it then maybe ur illiterate. and if ur definition has nothing to do with settlers or colonist then who the hell did england send over here?(dumass)

n ur wrong again dummy... if u attach a new meanin 2 a word that doesnt create a new word, it adds a new meanin. memmer the whole "sick" thing? i dont believe there are 2 listings 4 "sick" in the dictionary(can u say DEE_DA_DEEEE?).

"That went right over his head JP." get off his nuts, he already said he thought they were the same werd(take ur time n sound it out). i've come 2 the conclusion that Ava may be mildly retarded.

6. Lounge   -   #46
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    Game set and match.
    How so? Cuz GayPaul doesn't know anyone that refers to us as Yankees?

He also said he remembered Americans being called Yankees before.

Last time I checked, the UK (or 'Stralia for that matter) is not the rest of the planet either.

7. Lounge   -   #47

Game set and match.
    Last time I checked, the UK (or 'Stralia for that matter) is not the rest of the planet either.
    It is kind of the other English speaking part tho'.

Unless you count Canadia.

Do they call you Yankees.

8. Lounge   -   #48
    Quote Originally Posted by ram82082 View Post
    look dude.. this AINT english class. i can type how i feel, now if you cant read it then maybe ur illiterate.
    s f u rit lik a dumy n icnt rd it tht mks me iltrate?

and if ur definition has nothing to do with settlers or colonist then who the hell did england send over here?(dumass)
    My definition has nothing to do with settlers or colonists because all that happened 100s of years ago, this is now, dumass.

n ur wrong again dummy... if u attach a new meanin 2 a word that doesnt create a new word, it adds a new meanin. memmer the whole "sick" thing? i dont believe there are 2 listings 4 "sick" in the dictionary(can u say DEE_DA_DEEEE?). [COLOR=Blue]
    If it has a different meaning it's a different word as far as definitions are concerned, it's just spelt the same, dee_da_deee!

"get off his nuts, he already said he thought they were the same werd(take ur time n sound it out). i've come 2 the conclusion that Ava may be mildly retarded.
    No he didn't, you said, "but if you shorten a word im pretty sure the root meanin stays the same." and he said, "Not if you contract it and change it's meaning at the same time" -- dumass!

How so? Cuz GayPaul doesn't know anyone that refers to us as Yankees?
    Yes, and I've told you the same thing. Have you ever been out of the US? No-one calls Yanks Yankees, they are two different words and have different meanings, your puppy said so himself, read back.

He also said he remembered Americans being called Yankees before.
    60 odd years ago, during WW2, but not since.

It is as far as you're concerned cos you ain't never been nowhere, whereas I've been around the world several times!

9. Lounge   -   #49
    It is as far as you're concerned cos you ain't never been nowhere, whereas I've been around the world several times!
    Fuck sake Rikk, schoolboy error.

10. Lounge   -   #50
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Oh so everywhere, including Central America, Japan, and Russia have shortened Yankee to Yank?

You really are an idiot.

What I find funny is that you can't even admit Yank is short for Yankee.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 11-27-2006 at 01:09 AM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast