Thread: car stereo

Poster
    hi, I have a kenwood KDC-5016 and it seems to be a real sensitive cd-player. Anyway I tried burning some cd's and they couldn't play, so I'm hoping it's the type of cd I've been using.
    I know you guys probably don't answer many car audio questions, but do you think the quality of the cd could render it unplayable on car stereo?

thx

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    what speed did you burn the disc at ?

and what brand of blank disc ?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    I NEVER EVER put my original disks in the car. If the originals get stolen, it costs a lot to replace them. If a copy gets stolen it's simply the cost of a few CDRs.

I've never bothered with expensive disks either, since most low cost manufacturers use the same materials as the high cost brand names, and some are even produced in the same factory. I understand that occasionally some fakes can get on to the market though, and they are often pretty poor quality.

Have you finalised the disks, and made sure they only have a single session? Some versions of Nero came with "finalise the session" set at no as the default setting. Similarly, the default setting for Alcohol 120% used to be "close this session and open a new one" (I can't remember the exact wording), but I don't know if that's still the case.

Why is that important?

A normal audio cd player reads the index forwards, and only reads the first session. Since the specification states that audio tracks must come first, an audio player will usually play a cd even if it is not finalised or has a second session, since it won't try to read more than the first index.

An in-car cd player works in the same way as a computer cd player. This means that it reads the index from the end backwards. If the disk isn't finalised or has an extra session then it can't play audio part of the disk. Similarly, disks with a data track (usually a video) that you can play on your computer won't be playable on an in-car cd player.

This sort of layout has been tried as a method of copy protection, but it was soon dropped when people complained that they couldn't use the disks in their cars. You may have inadvertently reproduced it.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Thanks for the help you guys, but I think the problem is that I've been burning on CD-RWs instead of CD-Rs. From what I hear CD-RW are burnt slightly differently. I will go out and buy some CD-Rs to test. I have also tried burning the CD-RWs at the lowest speed still no luck. Not to worry however, I'm fairly certain the source of the problem is the CD-RW.

lynx, are you saying that if I choose to have a multi-session audio cd it won't play in a cd player?
    e.g. I decide to burn 3 songs onto a multi-session disk -will that play?- then a come and decide to add another 5 songs -will that play?- or do I have to finalise it from the first burn. Sorry I didn't quite get the jist of it.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by nat View Post
    Thanks for the help you guys, but I think the problem is that I've been burning on CD-RWs instead of CD-Rs. From what I hear CD-RW are burnt slightly differently. I will go out and buy some CD-Rs to test. I have also tried burning the CD-RWs at the lowest speed still no luck. Not to worry however, I'm fairly certain the source of the problem is the CD-RW.

lynx, are you saying that if I choose to have a multi-session audio cd it won't play in a cd player?
    e.g. I decide to burn 3 songs onto a multi-session disk -will that play?- then a come and decide to add another 5 songs -will that play?- or do I have to finalise it from the first burn. Sorry I didn't quite get the jist of it.
    Yes, CD-RW is almost certainly your problem.

Regarding multiple sessions:

All audio tracks for consumer CD-audio players (which is how Philips describe them) have to burnt in the same session. Philips and Sony have the patent on multi-session Audio CDs, but AFAIK they don't use it and they won't allow anyone else to use it either without punitive royalties.

However, CD-Rom drives can read multi-session CDs. Whether that applies to in-car CD players would almost certainly depend on the manufacturer, but considering that multi-session Audio CDs are patent protected it seems unlikely that they would bother to develop the technology.

This link should tell you most of what you need to know.
    http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/multiple.htm

So basically, you can't use multiple sessions.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.