Thread: Connection Problems

Only in a Processor.
    Ok, everyone that I've asked about this problem have been completely baffled because of it. My computer is Gateway MX7515 and I'm having a problem where my LAN/WiFi connections would simply....lock up. They receive packets fine when this happens, but sending packets, it just stops completely. It's not a set time it does it, just if I've been downloading too much very quickly it does this (sucks to have 3meg and not able to use it). I'm currently using XP Pro, the drivers are up to date, as well as all the Windows Updates. I've checked onto Azureus.com and thought it was the max connections due to router issues, then I thought if I can't get over a certain amount of max connections due to the router, the people that are also on the network using azureus would also get the problem. I guess it wouldn't be much of a problem if I just had to disable and enable the connection, but that doesn't work, nor does repairing the connection. I also have to do a hard shut down of the comp, because it cannot disable the connection if I try to do a normal shut down. SO, I thought I would refer to the lovely forums where everyone knows your name. Thank you in advance for even putting thought into this situation. If I haven't explained enough, I'll show pictures when it happens again.
    Last edited by [P][RO][CE][SS][OR]; 11-30-2006 at 04:45 PM.
    Only in a computer will I find happiness.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    david02's Avatar only human BT Rep: +1
    Maybe if you chance some settings in your wireless network card will help. You can change them in in the wireless adapter properties in devicemanager. google for info about these settings.

Or maybe the program tcp optimizer will help

http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe

Instructions - Download and run. Under the "General Settings" tab select your Connection Speed (Kbps), which is your Maximum Download Speed. If you do not know what it is, contact your ISP and ask them. Make sure the value you get is in Kbps. (Exact capitalization is important, uppercase K, lowercase b ect...) Otherwise use the Speed Test and select the Closest City to get a rough idea of what it should be, then round this value (Download Speed) up to the closest size in TCP/IP Optimizer. Under "Network Adapter" choose the Network interface you use to connect to the Internet, select "Optimal settings", then "Apply changes" and "Yes" to Reboot.

Notes - Setting the Connection Speed higher then your Maximum ISP Download Speed will NOT improve performance and may actually hurt performance. Whatever your ISP claims is your Maximum Download Speed should always be used regardless of what the Speed Test shows. Maximum Download Speeds are theoretical and not always attainable for various reasons. It is normal for them to fluctuate. However, drastic differences in what your ISP claims you should get and what you are actually getting should be brought up with your ISP. It is your money after all and I would want to get what I paid for.
    ''God is dead.'' - Nietche
    ''Nietche is dead!'' -God

graffiti

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    btw Is your connection signal ok?
    Last edited by david02; 12-01-2006 at 06:27 AM.

graffiti

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    you could update your router's firmware. Is it possible it's your internet connection? I had a similar problem with my internet connection and it wasn't hardware/software related. It was the signal coming in.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Only in a Processor.
    @ David02- I'm having an issue with ethernet, and I currently have my WiFi disabled. But when this happens with my connection I disconnect the ethernet and I enable the WiFi and still have problems with sending packets. I'm just hoping it's not my hardware, but a driver issue. Other people that are on the network aren't haven't any issues with their download/upload other than we get crap for an upload. And as far as too much uploading isn't an issue. When no one is uploading, it will just do its thing and just stop.

@ Backlash- The other people on the network aren't having a problem so it cannot be connection issues with the ISP I know we are getting the full connection, router and switch that manage the connection are Cisco 871W just got updated recently in the past 2 days, and the switch is a Linksys EG005W and is unmanageable.
    Last edited by [P][RO][CE][SS][OR]; 12-01-2006 at 08:11 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Only in a Processor.
    Anyone else have an idea? If not, thank you for your time!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Do you have this problem allways? Like when streaming a video, downloading a file from the web. or only when downloading in a bittorrent client. etc Do you have problems downloading from eg emule or dc++

How long does it normally take before the problem begins after you initiated the download?

If I did not mistaken you , you have two network cards in your computer. A wireless one and a wired one and the problem occurs with both cards?

graffiti

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Only in a Processor.
    It is a problem that happens if I'm downloading on Azereus, I haven't tried any other bittorent clients just yet. I've always used my ethernet card, so I don't know if it my wireless card will do it too, but when it does happen, both my ethernet and my wireless card decide not to work. I've reinstalled my OS about 3 times thinking it was that, but with out any luck. I also looked on azereus's website finding some information about some routers don't like more than a certain amount of global connections, but to my dissatisfaction found that the error still happens. When I'm downloading off of azereus it happens within 5 to 10 minutes. I guess I'll see if it happens on my wireless card too, and I'll report my findings if it my wireless card does the same problem.