Thread: OpenDNS - Faster, Safer, Smarter Browsing

Just thought I'd share this little bit of info.

OpenDNS - What We Do

OpenDNS makes the Internet experience safer, faster and smarter for you and everyone using your network.

1. OpenDNS is safer

OpenDNS can identify and stop sites trying to phish (steal) your personal information or money. The OpenDNS phishing protection works with all operating systems and browsers, and complements any other security measures already in use, such as a firewall and anti-virus software.

2. OpenDNS is faster

Most DNS servers on the Internet are slow. Your computer uses DNS every time you visit a website or send an email, so you want DNS to be blazing fast. Two things make DNS really fast: a big cache and a good network. We have both.

3. OpenDNS is smarter

We all make speling mistakes.

We make corrections for common spelling mistakes, on the fly. That means when you are typing fast and type yahoo.cmo instead of yahoo.com you still get there. No annoying pop-ups or evil spyware installed because you made a typo. Things just work.

Other benefits of OpenDNS

OpenDNS service is free. OpenDNS makes money by serving clearly labeled advertisements on search results pages where we cannot resolve your intent (i.e., not a known typo).

There is no software to install, so no switching cost and no lock-in. OpenDNS is easy to start using. We're confident you will prefer our service, but it's easy to return to your old settings.

Why is OpenDNS faster than other DNS services?

Two things make OpenDNS faster than similar services. First, OpenDNS runs a really big, smart cache, so every OpenDNS user benefits from the activities of the broader OpenDNS user base. Second, OpenDNS runs a high-performance network which is geographically distributed (see network map) and serviced by several redundant connections. OpenDNS responds to your query from the nearest location. That means we're very fast (and extremely reliable, to boot).

http://www.opendns.com/

i have been using the opendns service now for the better part of a month, and I am loving it. Browsing speeds increased tremendously. the dns servers my interweb were using prior were mega slow. I hope this service can increase web performance for others as well.

EDIT : opps, searched forum for opendns, perhaps I typo'd when searching. anyways I mod cna lock this dupe thread if they think it's necessary.
    Last edited by madden player; 12-03-2006 at 04:17 PM.

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.