Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: computer on or off

what do some of you recomend when leaving a computer on overnight to download files, does it damage the computer, do you recomend it; or is it ok to leave the computer running but turn the screen off, what are your thoughts??

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    I've always left my pc on overnight for 3 yrs now and i never had problems. Of course i turn off the monitor when i go to sleep as the monitor consumes more energy than the computer itself. In fact, I've read that turning on and off the pc does more damage but some also argue that leaving the pc on nonstop puts more wear and tear on the cpu. As far as power the computer consumes, I've always thought that its comparable to the power the refrigerator consumes and we all leave it on 24/7. I'm not an expert on this subject so you might wanna do some more research but yea i do leave it on nonstop.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    delimare's Avatar Polyamorous BT Rep: +2
    I leave mine on as well, nonstop. It's been close to two years now. The HDD's are always running and spinning (consistent torrent downloading) and the only thing I turn off is the monitor when not in use, like the above poster mentioned. Someone rattled off a statistic that for every time you turn the PC off and let it cool, turning it back on takes a day off of it's life. Whether or not it's true is beyond me but it's a fact that the heating and cooling of electronic parts does take a toll on them over time.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I always leave mine on 24/7 too ,had a lighting strike that fried a mobo once but what are the odds of that ? Turn off during a storm or at least get a good surge protector /power bar .

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    ... can't touch this BT Rep: +1
    i always leave mine on every day and night as well because i'm consistently downloading new stuff and i have to share back, which can take a while on my home computer. unfortunately, i did have a similar situation as peat moss, except it just fried my ethernet card. i went to get a new one the same day and was back to sharing. oh as two previous posts mentioned, i turn my monitor off whenever i'm not using it... no particular reason though, just a habit. so far, after all these years, i have had no major problem with my computer. you should be fine too.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    @default , ya my roomie and I share a hub her LAN card was fried as well but live and learn . Speed101 did n't mention what file sharing or p2p program he/she was using . I just found with Bittoerent it was a great way to "up my ratio " when I wasn't on the computer or to finish D/L'd that program I had to have .

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    I leave mine on 24/7 also. I shut it off during storms, though. I don't take any chances when it comes to that. I only reboot after installations and when I feel I need to.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    I only leave my pc on when downloading & seeding torrents at night. ANd yes I cut off my monitor also

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    if you've ever used ed2k you must leave it running 24/7 (for the rare files anyhow)
    i think it's more wear on the pc by turning it on and off, then leaving it running

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I always leave my computer on as well.
    I started doing it back at last christmas. I got this computer and it always had problems in XP with booting up so I was afraid to shut it down...basically i'd go weeks at a time without shutting it down (still do).
    I leave it on now because i'm so used to it and i like downloading during the night so during the day my internet's fast or i can download more.

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast