Thread: 2 internet connections on 1 pc

david02's Avatar only human BT Rep: +1
    Hi,

Anybody knows if it is possible to use 2 internet connections on 1 pc? eg a cable internet and a wireless connection? So that if you download something it will do that with both connections at the same time?

thx in advance
    ''God is dead.'' - Nietche
    ''Nietche is dead!'' -God

graffiti

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by david02 View Post
    Hi,

Anybody knows if it is possible to use 2 internet connections on 1 pc? eg a cable internet and a wireless connection? So that if you download something it will do that with both connections at the same time?

thx in advance
    Not for people like us hehe

If you look at the answer @ http://www.pctechtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21284

you could set up a proxy server that will log onto your wireless network. You would then connect this to the same network as your adsl connection (your LAN) BUT set the default gateway and route to the gateway of the wireless connection. Your machines on the LAN would use DHCP/STATIC IPs that would get the gateway as the ADSL connections gateway. You then enter the proxy machine's LAN IP address as your proxy server into your browsers. when you're browsing, the traffic will go through the proxy server, the proxy server will then make the request and send the info to you via the wireless connection, it's gateway. any other connections to internet services that aren't configured to use the proxy on your computer will use your adsl connection gateway.(P2P, ftp, IM, etc.) configure the proxy settings for apps you don't want to be "bogged down" by your rampant file sharing.... You could also buy a very expensive Cisco router to do the same based on port or packet information, but that's probably not worth it. Either way, you're going to have to be in the high-intermediate -> expert class on your network/*nix skills to get this to work correctly.

I would anyway prefer to use 2 machines, 1 for each connection, as I would want to download full speed on one internet connection without interferring with my online playing (BF2142) or whatever on the other one.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    david02's Avatar only human BT Rep: +1
    thank you for the info!
    ''God is dead.'' - Nietche
    ''Nietche is dead!'' -God

graffiti

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    i looked into this ages ago and all i remember was that it was probably possible in software, but not ideal. quick look on google though gave this:
    http://www.geekquestions.com/article...tions-1-1.html

i think it wouldn't work all that well with filesharing tho because you'd have 2 different ips which i imagine would cause problems

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    Yes it's possible using either software or hardware. The hardware method is much easier.

http://www.xincom.com/twinwan.php

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    it's pòssible but no useful