Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Please keep her...please?

MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    The only explanation I can come up with for the furor that seems to be that there really is absolutely nothing of import happening in the world that is worthy enough to be diegned by American attention.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

I think events so far militate toward her backtracking, having realized her mis-step, and yes, I do believe there was a mis-step.
    She would have had to issue an "I love America" statement if she made the comment or not. The interview was in a foreign language publication.....Darn over here we can't even get accurate quotes from interviews in our own language.

You, on the other hand, are so concerned with defending the poor little liberal lady you've swallowed whole her proffer the original interview never even happened.
    Where did I say the interview never happened? I said
    Originally Posted by vidcc
    It seems that ms. Paltrow may have been misquoted
    I have no opinion one way or the other about Ms. Paltrow. I haven't seen her films and haven't (apart from this thread) heard any of her opinions/ seen any interviews.
    I merely stated that she may have been misquoted. You think that impossible or just don't want to believe it. I guess you believe anything you read when it suits. This is evident in that you felt compelled to state the "liberal elite" thing.

More on point, I couldn't care less about her opinion, apart from noting my distaste for those (anyone) who retreat to a far shore in order to throw their stones, secure in the knowledge they do so from friendly confines.

A really "tough" liberal (to coin a term) could do it stateside.
    Then you would be saying "if you don't like it here go somewhere else".
    I actually think it's good for America that we are seen as not being so arrogant that we can't criticise ourselves in the open. I mean she wasn't calling for our destruction. After all what kind of impression do you think the world is now getting about us by this reaction....
    Across the ocean, Americans, bound to take everything personal, are rallying against her.
    That we like free speech? (oh I forgot....free speech needs to be "reexamined" )

BTW-

"Elite" equates rather well with "superior", the attitude she exudes so smugly.

I will grant that not all elites are liberal, but aver nonetheless that they exist in a proportion proximate to that existing between Arabs and terrorists, currently.
    Liberals are a security a risk and are plotting to kill americans?... funny because all the domestic terrorists and domestic terrorist sympathizers are right wingers. Calls to blow up the state dept and kill all our diplomats as an example.
    What about suggesting killing the supreme court justices using rat poison? She says it was a joke....is she just back tracking? I mean you have people like Chad Castagana as an example of how seriously those words are taken.

BTW is "bad mouthing americans" only wrong when it's by a liberal? I mean liberals are attacked all the time by conservatives abroad...look back to when Clinton was in power.

And what is the difference between saying it while abroad and saying things on "news stations" such as fox that are broadcast worldwide? what is the difference between saying it while abroad and publishing a novel attacking Clinton or just liberals that is sold worldwide. what is the difference between saying it while abroad and producing a "docudrama" full of falsehoods that is distributed worldwide. Is it only attacking america if it criticisies conservative views?
    what is the difference between saying it while abroad and you bad mouthing americans using this international forum as a platform.
    and is this hatred for "overseas citicisms" only if americans do it? right wingers love frenchmen that come here and badmouth france......if an Arab badmouths his county right wingers have orgasms

ann coulter on the bbc bad mouthing America Where was the conservative outrage?
    Last edited by vidcc; 12-06-2006 at 04:46 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    Ann Coulter is really a liberal, she's playing a very clever game of caricaturing conservatives.

She reminds me of a female Borat Sagdiyev.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    More on point, I couldn't care less about her opinion, apart from noting my distaste for those (anyone) who retreat to a far shore in order to throw their stones, secure in the knowledge they do so from friendly confines.

A really "tough" liberal (to coin a term) could do it stateside.
    Then you would be saying "if you don't like it here go somewhere else".

No, then I would be saying, "if you prefer things where you are, please stay there..."

I actually think it's good for America that we are seen as not being so arrogant that we can't criticise ourselves in the open.
    I don't quite see her as having done that.

To me, she seems to be saying, "Gee, I really find the company of the people I find in Britain to be superior to that I've found in America."

As you can see, I've cherry-picked a few of your comments to respond to; I'm not going to engage in the finger-numbing exercise you seem to prefer, and will be doing things in a piece-meal fashion from now on, unless the mood strikes me to do more.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    If she made the statement, fuck her. Hopefully she'll STFO of America.

If not then great.

Either way I never really cared for her as an actress. The last thing I remember about in a movie is her head got chopped off and Brad Pitt just lost it.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Seriously chaps, don't get all sniffy about it, she does actually have a point.

That's not making a value judgement, heaven forfend, it's simply that what she's saying is true.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god

As you can see, I've cherry-picked a few of your comments to respond to; I'm not going to engage in the finger-numbing exercise you seem to prefer, and will be doing things in a piece-meal fashion from now on, unless the mood strikes me to do more.
    You usually ignore any awkward points anyway so no change there. You seem to think I actually expected you to do different.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    Seriously chaps, don't get all sniffy about it, she does actually have a point.

That's not making a value judgement, heaven forfend, it's simply that what she's saying is true.
    The TRUTH? They can't HANDLE the truth!

As you can see, I've cherry-picked a few of your comments to respond to;
    You usually ignore any awkward points anyway so no change there.
    j2k4 3, vidcc 3.

OK you two, one more go each and if there's no winner we go to a penalty shoot-out.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    You usually ignore any awkward points anyway so no change there. You seem to think I actually expected you to do different.
    You're right; responding coherently to your nonsense is awkward...at a minimum, one runs the risk of giving offense.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    ok, this is my honest opinion on our American friends.

I think they get a bad press because the 6% of americans that actually own a passport and vacate to new places, are a set of ignorant c#$Tz.

I've lived in about 8 countries over the years, and hae been privlidged to have a massive melting pot of different creeds and races that i can call friends, and it amazes me that i've had conversations with all of them starting with several variations of the last word "americans are wankers/tits/mo'fo's". Having also met the Americans in question, i would also agree, 99% are tits of the highest order.

But, i wouldnt let others opinions shape mine. So lets look at the things that actually had some effect on me, other than a deaf ear/face full of spit as some dozy yank insists on giving me a 20 second introduction of his zip-code,street, district, town, state, GPS position, when all i asked was, so where you from mate?

Please, just cos u got sexual thrills from reciting every state til your blue in the face as a kid, we didnt.

It makes no difference to me if you tell me you are from "204 Jefferson Drive, on the left, next to the grey Cadillac, yeah, the one with the green door, Wiggleborough, The Blue Bear city, Kunmuck, Illinois State, west of lilttle Britain, east of Japan, UUUU SSSSSS OOFFFF AAAAA, 163.123 N 123.842 E" or you just say "America", it's all the same to me. I have no idea where you just said is, nor does anyone else within the mile range of the decibels of your slobbery voice. So just say your German or irish. Cos you are. Except you Juan Paolo, you is a "home-boy from spicy Meh KEY Co. Essay....".

Anyway, back to the point. Why Americans are blind to the world or anyone around them. My sister, a soldier for 18 years and served twice in Iraq, Afghanistan and many years in N. Ireland. Been shot? Yes she has. Twice in fact. Taliban? NOOOOOO. Alqueeda? NOOOOO. Some drunken irish dude? NOOOO.

Yep, you got it, twice, yes twice, she has been shot by a dumb ass american. As i believe, Americans were given advacned warning for 2 weeks that they would be operating in this specific area. They reminded htem every day. "Do not shoot/bomb this area". A plane flies over, radios in mass Taliban troop movement to the US command, and within 10 mins the whole team are pinned on a mountain side as rockets, round after round of machine gun fire bounding around them. It took over 3/4 of an hour, from the initial emergncy call to US command to ask they stop trying to kill everyone, to a radio call sent through to the frontline saying "boys, you fucked up again." During the period, my sister had a massive hole ripped out og her thigh.

Iraq round 2....shot by an American recon team who were part of a duel operation with the Brits, and shot my sister and another guy.....the actual people they were directing to a certain hot zone.

I've been to America, it was ok, but everything felt like Disney World characters. And i was in Washington State.

Oh, and Georg Bush....what a man to elect to represent your people. Well done.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast