Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bittornet aint' for the layman hey?

I've recently started to dabble in this file shaing business. Am new to computers and Macs likewise. I have 10.4.8. I've recently been using Limewire which is easy enough(though can't get rid of that brick icon).

So I've downloaded Bittorent as that seems to be The One! I've read all the posts, FAQ's but the bottom line is I just aint' savvy when it comes to computer stuff. (Why am I bothering, have injured myself, slip disk, friggin homebound, cant work, walk, yadda yadda...) So I am going to try and get my head around this mac and file sharing!!

Could someone please walk me through beggining to end for downloading a file and playing it with Bittorent, including all the "systems preference stuff including port on the mac) I have the program downladed and have tried to read other sites about bittorent but I just can't get it.

Thanks buy anyone a beer for their efforts,

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    manofstyle's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    Ok first off there are many BitTorrent clients you can use, each of which would require slightly different instructions. Which one are you using? I reccomend uTorrent for ease of use and configurability:

http://utorrent.com

Here is a lengthy but informative article on configuring uTorrent for speed:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=3912

Next, you asked about "downloading a file and playing it with Bittorent" so I assume you mean video files? You download them with a BT client, but you use another program to "play" them, try VLC Media Player:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

I don't use a Mac so I can't help with Mac specific stuff.

Hope this helps.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    also some files cant be opened because they are compressed

Archive (compressed) and Split Files

.rar .zip .ace .r01 .001

These extensions are quite common and mean that your file(s) are compressed into an "archive".
    This is just a way of making the files more compact and easier to download.

To open any of those archives listed above you can use WinRAR (Make sure you have the latest version)

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Kuroudo's Avatar Uber n00b
    another thing you should know is if you download .ISO files or .BIN or .NRG etc etc...

these are cd/dvd image files! basically they are exact clones of a cd or a dvd! and you can open them by using a cd/dvd copier (like Nero, CloneCD, Alcohol 120% etc.) and copying a cd/dvd (depending on the image size)

in my opinion, if you don't know the format that you're downloading always google it to try and know more about the format! there are a lot of formats used nowadays that surpasses the .WMV or whatever!

hope I've been some help!

Peace*

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    General2k's Avatar Death's End BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Its not all too hard. I showed one of my computer illiterate friends how to do it. Although i do beleive it would be a little too much for my dad.
    Gee, Brain what do you want to do tonight?
    The same thing we do every night Pinky. Try to take over the world!

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Kuroudo's Avatar Uber n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by dvhrld View Post
    Its not all too hard. I showed one of my computer illiterate friends how to do it. Although i do beleive it would be a little too much for my dad.
    loool totally agree!

dad's just use MSN and think "Geez I'm such a computer freak "

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Hazardous's Avatar Material
    You guys aren't really helping him at all.

First of all, uTorrent is only on Windows. The best client for a Mac is Azureus.

Macs also don't have Alcohol or Nero or any of the other utilitiez you guys just named, or actually I guess WinRAR is on the mac. What your going to need from the first post is Azureus. Google it.

What your going to need to burn images as explained a couple posts after that is Toast or maybe some other inferrior Mac software. Actually there may be decent image burning applications for the mac I've just never seen any, especially if you start dabbling in console games and the like where DVD Decrypter and Alcohol are simply king. Nero is also very good for all sorts of burning.

Your best bet is to go get Azureus, then go to Demonoid.com and download Windows XP. THen go to Apples website and download "BootCamp". Then burn the Windows XP disc with Toast, install Bootcamp, reboot again and install Windows XP on a partition alongside 10.4.8.

Although that probably isn't going to be of the best help to you either, since working on OSX is about as easy as computers come - windows and dual booting isn't going to make your life any easier.

Any way, maybe if you try posting more specific questions we can be of better help

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    DKre8ive1's Avatar L0st N S0und BT Rep: +2
    Also look into getting your ports forwarded on your router if you use DSL or Cable.

Go to the link below for more info and to look for your router/modem #.

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php is everything you ever needed to know, apart from trackers and the etiquette required therein.

I highly suggest striking up some trust....or finding a decent tracker accepting registrations, look around you will find some...its not easy but they are there. My very well serviced tracker cut and run last month, thankfully I found another the month before ....starting out again after a long break and they have free rego's...myself and many mates are enjoying it.

So earn trust, and you earn utilisation of your pipe.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    frogboy2727's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    Here's some helpful MAC information. I have a non Pentium based iBook, so all references are for MAC only. For starters, try using www.isohunt.com, www.piratebay.org, www.demonoid.com (try registering during the weekend). I use Transmission, for my bittorrent program. You can find the latest versions of any Window/MAC program at www.versiontracker.com. Try using VLC Player, for all your downloaded movie files. For expanding .rar files, I use UnRarx. As with anything, you have to read/research, then simply try it yourself. Everyone starts at the same point. Knowing nothing. The more you play around, the more you learn.

Al ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast