Thread: Recovering A Word Document

Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    OK, in a rather stupid moment yesterday/this morning I saved a document I had been working on in Word 2002. I saved it to a floppy and closed the program without saving it to anywhere else first. Now that floppy is corrupt and I can't get the document. I've tried searching the hard drive for *.doc, *.chk and *.wbk but to no avail. I've also looked in Application Data/Microsoft/Word but nothing in there either.

I have Word set to save Auto Recovery Info every 10 minutes but I think thats only useful if the program crashes, which it didn't.

I guess I've pretty much lost this document, which is really bad news, but if anyone has anything else to try I'm more than willing to give it a go. I've still got the floppy but it will not read from the disk so I can get nothing off it.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster

hi there !
    i've done similar, and managed to bring back one from the dead. do a search for untitled and or document. who knows ?
    regards
    m8t

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Forum Star
    Word usually always makes a backup copy in the same folder as the original file.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Thanks for the suggestions, but I think it's gone. It's never been saved to the hard drive, I started it from scratch then saved to the floppy, so there is no original location.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quick update - I managed to get some of the document from the floppy using a program called BadCopy Pro. It rescues information from damaged floppies and CD-ROMs. In actual fact I only rescued about 200 words from a 2000 word document, but I think that was cos I stupidly ran scandisk on the floppy first, which I think overwrote some of the bad sectors which might have been recoverable.

So now I have to write nearly the whole document again today - not good.