Thread: Computer Troubles - Need help

I am currently writing this from college as some time yeterday my computer completely shut her self down whilst nobody was using it. Apparently yesterday there was some sort of power shortage over my estate area and alot of the area lost power, my house being one of them. When I got home from college I found my computer just humming away with the screen off, which is usual, but when I turned the screen on, it would not come off of standby and the computer had restarted but had not completed start up.

I had to manually shut down the computer because the off button would not even work, and then when I started it up again, it shows only a black screen and does not go through start up. None of the information regarding the computer specs that usually roll does not appear.

Anyway, I know this is sort of jumbled cos I am writing in a hurry, but if anybody has any advice I could use in getting my baby running again, it would be much appreciated.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    david02's Avatar only human BT Rep: +1
    It still gets power? Does it beep? are the fans spinning?

I am not into this but maybe put out, wait a minute/put in the battery of the BIOS will help to restore the BIOS.

could be a lot of things. probably motherboard or powersuply failure. Maybe try another friends powersuply on your machine.

or take it to repair.
    ''God is dead.'' - Nietche
    ''Nietche is dead!'' -God

graffiti

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Sorry no answers. To many variables. Hope you get it sorted.

This is another reason though to shut down a computer when not needed. And avoid standby or sleep mode. If this machine had been shutdown. There would be no problem here.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    What has happened is there was a power cut for about a minute in our area so his computer had the power cut off then restored,my computer doesn't restart on its own,unfortuanatley his does.
    I'm going to see if I've got a spare PSU to try,I hope its not fried his m/board.
    Will try the taking the battery in and out trick as well.

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    Tried putting in a replacement PSU,no joy,it doesn't even do the first POST beep,I'm thinking dead m/board/processor,would that be right?

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Sounds about right. You could try unplugging as much as possible from the motherboard first though, I've known things like failed CD drives drag the whole system down before now.

When events like that happen, you often get large voltage spikes as various bits of equipment nearby try to compensate for the drop in average line voltage. A cheap PSU won't be able to handle those spikes and they can get through to the output lines.

That's why it is essential to use a power strip with a surge arrester, and always use a good quality PSU.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.