Thread: Problem Connecting to Torrants on Router

Hello to everyone in the forum. This is my first post so bear with me

First i will list my system specs

Winxp, 3000MHZ 512MB Ram
    AOL Broadband Gold 2MB
    BT Voyager 205 Router (connected to 2 pc's)

I Used to connect to AOL using a Modem and i used Bitcomet and Azureus perfectly without any problems but since i have installed the router i have encountered problems. Whenever i load either Bitcomet or Azureus (without even going into detail of internal program problems) my web connection stops - im still connected to the router and according to the network connection im 'ok' and everything fine..... im just unable to pull up any webpages using IE or Firefox and my MSN logs off... So i thought i should mention that first because it seems like a serious problem ive got.

On the other hand i have gone through quite a few internet guides to set up a router including "Port Forwarding" and setting up a 'static' Ip Address on both pc's and editing my routers setting (i followed the guide from WWW.PORTFORWARD.COM. I cant really download anything from either Bit Comet or Azureus - i Maybe get 1Kb/s so theres obviously a connection but its basically non-active and i have to restart my pc before i can go back to using IE or Firefox (note: without loading BC or Azureus my internet works perfectly)

So, im kinda at a loose end.. ive tried everything i can to get either program working (i prefer Bitcomet) but im not sure what im doing wrong. As i said before ive gone through the Azureus and BC guides and set up my ports etc and done everything i think i should do but i think the issue of it stopping me from using the internet when ever i load either program is probably causing the issue somewhere on the line.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks

P..

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    ive had a similar problem before and i turned out to be my zonealarm firewall - what firewall are you using?

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Yes i use Zone Alarm.. Ive checked my setting and the only think i have blocked is Isohost.exe - its some kind of spyware i cant remove.

Could you tell me what you did to resolve the problem?

I currently have running

Zone Alarm
    AVG 7.5
    MSN

Thanks

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    lysine's Avatar 49311 BT Rep: +1
    try disabling DHT in your torrent clients. it sounds like your connection is being overloaded. also lower the number of global connections, in your client's options, to something like 200. see if that solves the problem.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    have you tried anything on this thread: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9304616

it was a while ago i had the problem - i tried everything aswell - i thought it was zonealarm that was causing it, but i checked the drivers (with a driver checker app) and found it was my modem - i was using the BT Voyager 105. so i got it to stop dissconecting when my computer was not DL a large file (more than 4-5 gigs) or when i had alot of free space left and the hard c drive was defragmented. it was as if the modem plugged into the usb and the drivers it was using were the first things to go down, when the hard disc was under alot of pressure, something along those lines. i had to use google to search through many forums to find that the drivers for bt modems are really crap. good luck.

lysine is exactly correct - the amount of connections in the client is overloading it making the connection shut down, limiting it might help.
    Last edited by Alien5; 12-07-2006 at 08:51 PM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    WOW thanks lysine... I did what you said and everything seems to be ok now.. Bit comet is downloading and i can still use the internet. I wish i had asked you instead of messing around with my port settings for the past week

Is there a torrant test file anywhere on the internet that i can check that its working at full speed?

thanks lysine

P

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    and thanks Alien5 for your help aswell..

P

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Sorry for yet another question but you guys seem more clued up than me....

When i first encountered the problem i uninstalled Bitcomet and Reinstalled it incase it was a simple bug but now i have it up and running the files i were Downloading before arnt their anymore... My files from the previous BitComet (located in Drogramfiles\Bitcomet) are still their and some are quite large (e.g. 4GB that were 90% complete) i installed the new Bitcomet into a differant directory on the E: drive..

Is there anyway i can resume my old downloads?

Thanks

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Torrents use hash to check for completion. So as long as you press to save the file into the same folder part of the file exists it should check the hash and then continue from whatever point it left off on.

For the dude with the firewall issues a good site for help is
    www.portforward.com
    Best of luck.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    lysine's Avatar 49311 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandora2006 View Post
    WOW thanks
    Is there a torrant test file anywhere on the internet that i can check that its working at full speed?

you can try testing with one of the open office torrents. it will generally provide good speeds:
    http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/