Thread: Another cure for diabetes for the future?

mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    Diabetic mice became healthy virtually overnight after researchers injected a substance to counteract the effect of malfunctioning pain neurons in the pancreas....

good news for me. they need to hurry up and fix this shit so i can be human again...

Source: http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/n...b5d1bf&k=63970
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails View Post
    Diabetic mice became healthy virtually overnight after researchers injected a substance to counteract the effect of malfunctioning pain neurons in the pancreas....

good news for me. they need to hurry up and fix this shit so i can be human again...

Source: http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/n...b5d1bf&k=63970

'Twould be excellent; my daughter is type I.

Hope our FDA doesn't fuck things up it this comes up heads...

Mods:

Can we move this to The Drawing Room?
    Last edited by j2k4; 12-16-2006 at 07:55 AM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    The problems stem partly from inflammation -- and eventual death -- of insulin-producing islet cells in the pancreas.
    Unfortunately, that suggests that once the islets are dead this treatment isn't going to work so it isn't likely to be of much use to long-term sufferers.

If it can be shown to be effective before that happens though it will be a brilliant breakthrough.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    The problems stem partly from inflammation -- and eventual death -- of insulin-producing islet cells in the pancreas.
    Unfortunately, that suggests that once the islets are dead this treatment isn't going to work so it isn't likely to be of much use to long-term sufferers.

If it can be shown to be effective before that happens though it will be a brilliant breakthrough.
    i'll take that chance just so i can go out and eat 1 gallon of candy cane ice cream and a whole carrot cake!
    Alamo Drafthouse!

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails View Post

i'll take that chance just so i can go out and eat 1 gallon of candy cane ice cream and a whole carrot cake thus making myself a diabetic all over again!
    Fixed

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened

Having been more-or-less hip deep in this stuff for years, we've learned to deal with not only the diabetes, but the periodic "breakthroughs".

As a consequence, our fund of knowledge about diabetes is not well-bounded, and is constantly muddied by new developments like this.

For example, I've heard (while we were attending at the International Diabetes Center, in Minneapolis) that islet cell production is, in many cases, only severely curtailed, while in other cases it stops altogether; in essence, there is a wide range of pancreatic compromise, but this fact has no practical impact on a Type I patient - they will be insulin-dependent and never be able to properly regulate, suffering all the commonly accepted ills of the disease.

If this treatment (or whatever you call it) has the effect of countering an auto-immune condition that suppresses/compromises islet-cell production, I can see it working, or, minimally, being useful as some sort of vaccination down the road.

I debated forwarding the link to my daughter, but ended up sending it.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    my daughter is type I.
    sorry.

<-- type II
    Alamo Drafthouse!