Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oink Ban

crossfade's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Hi

I recently got an invite for Oink. When I tried to sign up, it said I've been a member before and my account has been disabled. I had no idea what it was all about. I tried the IRC channel for an explanation but they didn't answer me. I thought the system might be confused because I'm at university right now, and there might be some weird thing going on with my IP address.
    However, after a couple of tries the invitation does work and I am able to get in. I didn't download anything because I wanted to upload something first to build like a buffer. When I wanted to check the site today, it says my account has been disabled. I went to the IRC channel and this time they do answer me, rather quickly, and tell me I had an account before and it got disabled and that now I'm banned.

Now, I don't know how they got the idea I had an account before. Maybe anyone knows what kind of system they use to check that, because I am absolutely sure I never ever had an account there.
    It's not that I've been in torrenting that long, so I think I'd remember.
    Maybe someone could tell me how I can proof that I've never been there before. I really don't know what to do.

The big problem is that there are a lot of people who did had an account before and who try to get in the community again. Unfortunately for me, this kind of people are more frequent than my case.
    Anyway, I feel like I'm being punished for something I never did.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS: I wrote this here because I wasn't really able to do my story at the IRC channel. When I asked for and explanation there, they said what I mentioned above and banned me immediately.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Chances are if your in a college dorm ect... That the whole college shares the same internet ip address. So by doing this if someone from the college was banned on that ip... Then they would assume it was the same person not knowing it was a college. In which case your probably s.o.l since theres no real way to prove that the banned person wasnt in fact you. They however can tell that your in a college most of the time just by the ip address.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Yeah, I should know better...
    I think there's nothing really I can do about it. I could re-ask an invite to the guy who invited me but I'm afraid that if something bad happens again, they'd do something to his account as well. Since I dont' want to get in that bad and certainly not at the cost of anyone else's account, I should just leave it.
    So there's no Oink for me in this life =)
    Anyway thanks for your reply.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    filephile's Avatar um wat do I put here
    I have the same problem with being on a network. so far noone has been banned on this ip, but when i received my bitmetv invite i wasn't able to signup because "ip is already in use". I went to my friend's off campus and signed up (unique ip) and use the account on the school network with no conflict.

I am not sure if signing up under a different ip will work for you, it might be quite different with a ban as they take them seriously. you might find that when you log back in on the same ip they will ban you again and even worse they likely to ban the peson that re-invited you (invited you a second time).

your best solution unfortunately is probably to wait until you can get a different ip, when you are not on a school network.

I love the school network for it's freakin awesome bandwidth, I can run many torrents without putting a dent in my speed. but sharing an ip and not being able to forward ports makes it a less-than-ideal torrenting environment.
    Your Signature:
    [Goes here]

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Well at home I got a different ("normal" i.e. unbanned) IP. But now I'm too scared to try to sign up again, you never know how they might track me down (ok, I'm sounding paranoid now).
    If I do sign up at home and then log in at school they'll notice and ban me again. So I could only use Oink during the weekends (when I'm not at school), which is kind of stupid - how else should I abuse my university's bandwidth.
    Anyway I think BitMeTV is less strict than Oink. When I had a problem at BitMeTV, at least I got to talk to someone (important) who solved my problem. At Oink's I didn't even got a chance to explain it...
    But as I said before, only thing to do is live with it you know... it's not like the end of the world =)

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    if at home u got a different ip and no cookies of that site and u use an email that isn't in their database, then there is no way they can track u.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    College usually use different IP on each computer. I think it changes by a digit or 2 per computer. Unless they have banned a range.
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    filephile's Avatar um wat do I put here
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer4eva View Post
    College usually use different IP on each computer. I think it changes by a digit or 2 per computer. Unless they have banned a range.
    maybe some do, but mine doesn't. then again I am in grenada and our IT isn't exactly #1. everyone in my building shows up exactly the same on a web-based ip check. you could just ask your roommate or neighbor across the hall what their ip is to know for sure..
    Your Signature:
    [Goes here]

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Fuck OinK. You're better off without them. They have a great music selection but most of the time you'll spend the rest of your life attempting to get a 1:1 ratio back. I've had more than one bad experience with their staff, and I'd NEVER recommend anyone use that tracker.

I find everything I need these days in the way of music, via Soulseek and Demonoid.

yo

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Fuck OinK. You're better off without them. They have a great music selection but most of the time you'll spend the rest of your life attempting to get a 1:1 ratio back. I've had more than one bad experience with their staff, and I'd NEVER recommend anyone use that tracker.

I find everything I need these days in the way of music, via Soulseek and Demonoid.
    Oink is the place to be for music, in various formats and such, but on the other hand their ratio requirements are too strict and its such a pain to keep above 1:1 especially when you download lossless rips or just download a lot in general.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast