Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 LastLast

Thread: First driving lesson next week!! Yayyy

tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    PASSED the theory test!!! Yippeeeeeeeeeee

Great feeling to have the exam marked with a "Pass" stamp..

2. The Drawing Room   -   #112
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by tralalala View Post
    PASSED the theory test!!!
    Driving theory?

Driving should be naught but a practical matter until you've done it long enough to expound coherently.

Sounds like a New Age thing.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #113
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Driving should be naught but a practical matter until you've done it long enough to expound coherently.
    Not at all. People shouldn't be allowed on the road until they can show a certain knowledge of the environment they will be driving in. They should know what the different road signs mean, the sequence of traffic lights, who gives way to who, and many other things.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #114
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    Not at all. People shouldn't be allowed on the road until they can show a certain knowledge of the environment they will be driving in. They should know what the different road signs mean, the sequence of traffic lights, who gives way to who, and many other things.
    Which is exactly what I studied for the theory... They even want you to study about how the engine works, the parts in it.. how to replace a wheel etc.
    Anyways, glad I passed it.. that's what matters, and tomorrow morning is my second driving lesson

5. The Drawing Room   -   #115
    Which is exactly what I studied for the theory... They even want you to study about how the engine works, the parts in it.. how to replace a wheel etc.
    Anyways, glad I passed it.. that's what matters, and tomorrow morning is my second driving lesson
    Granted, all that, I'm just curious as to why they called it theory.

It implies a speculative aspect, when there's nothing speculative about it.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #116
    Theoretical examination.. in theory - what should be done on the roads... then you have the actual test - to see how you do the theoretical stuff in reality.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #117
    Theoretical examination.. in theory - what should be done on the roads... then you have the actual test - to see how you do the theoretical stuff in reality.
    I understand, I just think it's a klutzy use of the word.

I'm sure it's just me.

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #118
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I don't see why They aren't throwing him out in traffic, into a real situation, they are asking him what he'd do, in theory, as he writes.

What people say or think that they'll do in a given situation, and what they actually do, are often two separate things, as I'm sure you know.

Of course, they could ask him what he should do, instead, but maybe there's some psychological benefit that can be derived from him thinking it's him facing the decisions.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #119
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY View Post
    I don't see why They aren't throwing him out in traffic, into a real situation, they are asking him what he'd do, in theory, as he writes.

What people say or think that they'll do in a given situation, and what they actually do, are often two separate things, as I'm sure you know.

Of course, they could ask him what he should do, instead, but maybe there's some psychological benefit that can be derived from him thinking it's him facing the decisions.
    Call it a matter of taste, then.

Make him a virtual driver.

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #120
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2

Make him a virtual driver.