Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: First driving lesson next week!! Yayyy

Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    isn't that bad for the clutch though?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    No, it isn't.

We're not talking excessive amounts of revs here...I can balance my car (on a hill) at @ 500 RPM...essentially idle speeds.
    Besides, the clutch, like brake pads, is considered to be a consumable item-it's meant to be replaced at regular intervals.

My last car (1971 Datsun Z) had over 60K miles on the clutch and it was still fine when I sold it.
    I'll be installing a clutch in my new car (1991 RX7) when the weather improves this spring and I expect it'll last just as long.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    OK, cheers!

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    That's what balancing on the clutch's engagement point does.
    You don't move forward, you don't move back.

You definitely do not engage the ebrake.

I don't believe we're even having this discussion.
    Do you guys really put the parking brake on every time you come to a stop sign/light?

No wonder there are so many accidents!

You sit there balancing the clutch and throttle?

What a pile of crap!

First off, we're talking about a hill start ... do you even understand what a hill is? Or a start?

Then you say you come to a stop on a hill and sit there balancing the clutch and throttle?

No wonder you drive Japanese crap!

This thread is about a kid learning to drive and you're telling him to sit there balancing the clutch and throttle ... unbelievable!

Anyone learning to drive from you would FAIL their test.

PS: WTF has an ebrake got to do with anything anyway? We're talking about a HANDBRAKE here.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I see the whole not-putting-the-handbrake-on thing if you're waiting at lights on a hills, but I generally keep it in gear, push in the clutch and hold my foot on the brake pedal.

Pulling off by moving over to the accelerator while releasing the clutch and not rolling backwards isn't exactly a tricky manoeuver.

The heel-toe thing (as I understand it, the racing manoeuvre thing) is something I never do and keeping it stationary using both clutch and accelerator is something I would only do if waiting for a gap in the traffic to turn right when it might be necessary to pull off quickly.

Btw, when I was learning, I was told to apply the handbrake when waiting at lights. It's just that now I feel competent enough not to do so.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46
    That's pretty much what I do.

I've just remembered, one of the reasons you might want to engage the handbrake in a stationary queue is so that if someone shunts you from behind, you don't lurch forward and shunt the guy in front.

I think.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    That's what balancing on the clutch's engagement point does.
    You don't move forward, you don't move back.

You definitely do not engage the ebrake.

I don't believe we're even having this discussion.
    Do you guys really put the parking brake on every time you come to a stop sign/light?

No wonder there are so many accidents!

You sit there balancing the clutch and throttle?

What a pile of crap!

First off, we're talking about a hill start ... do you even understand what a hill is? Or a start?

Then you say you come to a stop on a hill and sit there balancing the clutch and throttle?

No wonder you drive Japanese crap!

This thread is about a kid learning to drive and you're telling him to sit there balancing the clutch and throttle ... unbelievable!

Anyone learning to drive from you would FAIL their test.

PS: WTF has an ebrake got to do with anything anyway? We're talking about a HANDBRAKE here.
    Ava, you are clearly a moron.

Bye.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #48
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava
    I googled ebrake when clocker first mentioned it.

I think it's a word that people who want you to think they know a lot about cars use as a direct replacement for handbrake.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

9. The Drawing Room   -   #49
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava

I think it's a word that people who want you to think they know a lot about cars use as a direct replacement for handbrake.
    It may be a geographical thing...ebrake, handbrake and parking brake are all interchangeable terms as far as I know.
    It has nothing to do with trying to impress you with my knowledge about cars.

Which is extensive, BTW.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #50
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post

It may be a geographical thing...ebrake, handbrake and parking brake are all interchangeable terms as far as I know.
    It has nothing to do with trying to impress you with my knowledge about cars.

Which is extensive, BTW.

In any case, I think it's impossible for anyone to impress me with their knowledge about cars - JP tried once and half way thro' what for all the world read like a soliloquy, I found myself thinking; 'FFS, get a life, get laid, wanker'.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast