Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Owns A Store Bought Computer?

Is that your computer(s)? Specs?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    Originally posted by random nut@16 May 2003 - 00:07
    I would never buy a compaq/dell/or other name PC. I know someone who has a (I think Compaq) PC which is about 1-2 years old and she can't use XP because it doesn't support the sound card. It's about 1 year old, for god's sake! Bastards.

I want to decide exactly what HW I have in my PC and there's only one way you can do that, build your own (or let someone build it for you).

Compaq/Dell PCs (not counting servers) really are for newbies who don't know much about anything other than that you use a keyboard and a mouse to surf the web. All they care about is where's my email and how do I start the web browser.
    *nods*

My first machine was a compaq... i swore never again... now i build my own, and machines for others, to their, and my own specs... too much bs with buying a machine like that from a major retailer... too much unwanted shit, lower quality parts, etc... the one i would think of buying from would maybe be like alienware, or falcon northwest, if i was a rich bastard...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    @Random Nut, etc. If you have a minute, please show me how you could achieve significant savings on this configuration by builing your own:

Friday, May 16, 2003 1:54:35 PM CDT
    Catalog Number: 29 19
    Dell Dimension XPS Series: Pentium® 4 Processor at 3GHz with 800MHz front side bus
    Memory: 1GB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz 1GB4
    Keyboard: Dell® Enhanced Multimedia Keyboard
    Monitors: 19 in (18.0 in viewable) M992 Monitor M992
    Video Cards: New 128MB DDR ATI RADEON™ 9800 Graphics Card with TV-Out and DVI
    Hard Drives: FREE UPGRADE! New 200GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive 200P
    Floppy Drive and Additional Storage Devices: 3.5 in Floppy Drive FD
    Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition WHXP
    Mouse: Logitech® Optical USB Mouse LOM
    Network Interface: Integrated Intel® PRO 10/100 Ethernet
    Modem: No Modem Requested
    CD or DVD Drive: 16 Max DVD-ROM Drive
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy™2 premium sound card including FREE MuVo MP3 Play
    Speakers: Altec Lansing® ADA745 4.1 Surround Sound Speakers w/ Subwoofer
    Software Bundles: No Productivity Software
    Security Software: No Virus Protection Requested
    Digital Music: No Digital Music Software Requested
    Digital Photography: No Digital Imaging Software Requested
    Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options: 1 Year Limited Warranty plus 1 Year At-Home Service
    Dial-Up Internet Access: No ISP requested
    Multi-Media Players: No RealOne™ Player Selected
    Secondary CD or DVD Drive: New 4x DVD+RW/+R Drive w/CD-RW including Roxio's Easy CD Creator®
    Special Offer: $150 OFF Special Offer 150OFF

$2,350

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Wish you had given us the price of whats just in the tower. Instead of monitor, speakers, OS etc. IMO that looks ~$500 overpriced.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    If that is the case, how much do you think it would cost to build just the tower including (but who is gonna but my old system without a monitor, speakers, etc)?:

2.66 GHz w/ Hyperthreading (to be released later this month) with 800 MHz system bus

1 GB 400 MHz DDR SDRAM

Radeon 128

Ethernet Card

DVD-Rw 4X with CD-RW capabilities

16X Variable DVD

But once again, I know a couple of people who want to buy my old system and they want every part to keep the remaining 1 year warranty, so I do need to but monitor, speakers, etc.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    Originally posted by CELEBS_ARE_US@16 May 2003 - 13:57

Holy crap! Is that flex duct between two towers?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@16 May 2003 - 17:30
    ...now i build my own, and machines for others, to their, and my own specs...
    When you build a computer for somebody, like a friend or relative, do you sell them a legal copy of Windows? Or do you let them test drive a copy of Windows, that you install ontheir PC?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    depends on who it is, and what they are comfortable with... if its a close friend or family, who doesnt mind a pirated copy, ya... but for the most part, i recommend them paying for a copy...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    I brought my "Medion" from shop purely because i got it cheaper there then i could have buying the parts seprate and building it. Also yes it did come with a lot of crap but soon got rid of all of that

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    I learned the hard way with my first machine. Factory-direct and useless after 6 months with odd parts, obscure MoBo, etc..

This one is still store-bought but I did get a decent deal on it as a base unit, pre-owned, goodwill return. Don't know why it was returned, but not really bothered because I knew I was going to rip the guts out of it, swap, change and upgrade and stick into a nice new case within a week!

So I don't know if it qualifies for "store bought" really, it was just a good priced pile of bits which happened to be already assembled!

But yes, the recovery disk is a pain, must get a full OS from kazaa sometime.

Only pre-installed software apart from the usual windows stuff was Cyberlink DVD, Nero, M$ Works and yes, the obligatory ISP sign-up,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast