Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Owns A Store Bought Computer?

Poster
    DELL, Gateway, hp, etc...

Every store bought computer I have come across has a plethoria of useless software. I don't know how many times I had to remove AOL icons and FREE trials. Then you have a bunch of crap software that you just don't use, and it is a pain in the as to remove and uninstall. Then there is the Microsoft OEM version that you deal with. You just can't recover or install bare bones Windows. You are stuck with the recovery disk.

As ageneral rule, or maybe out of neccessity, 2 or 3 times a year I have to re-install Windows, just to "clean house", make sure my system is running well, and no wasted files floating around.

It used to be cost effective to build your own PC, but with the prices of pre-built computers coming down, it alsmost costs more to build your own. Then you you bascally have no software for it. Does Microsoft give giant companies a copy of Windows at a drasctcally cut price? Why can't I get the same price break when I manufacture my own PC?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    I have a Sony Vaio... so much stuff to uninstall and whatnot when I got it, I just gave up. Oh well, as long as it turns on in the morning, it's ok

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I would never buy a compaq/dell/or other name PC. I know someone who has a (I think Compaq) PC which is about 1-2 years old and she can't use XP because it doesn't support the sound card. It's about 1 year old, for god's sake! Bastards.

I want to decide exactly what HW I have in my PC and there's only one way you can do that, build your own (or let someone build it for you).

Compaq/Dell PCs (not counting servers) really are for newbies who don't know much about anything other than that you use a keyboard and a mouse to surf the web. All they care about is where's my email and how do I start the web browser.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    GATEWAY can suck me!!
    Bad customer support (some of those key crunchers can't even speak proper english),
    And my 633 essential is the biggest pile of shit ever conceived (Upgrade issues).
    But since I ditched my old OS (ME) for XP, I'm happier. Even with some resource trouble, it is FAR superior to What it was with ME

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I got a Dell computer, but I sure did not buy it from a store...

I ordered it online.

I reinstalled the OS on a new HD and because it was my first computer, I got a couple of years of their tech support, which is excellent.

Some of their support staff walked me through hours of step by step processes when my computer got hacked.

And the 19' FD Trinitron monitor they forgot to send me so they gave it to me for free (I am not complaining).

By far Dell is the best for the dumb first computer user, and I would definately recommend anyone to buy their first from Dell, because they sell their system components to their customers for less than newegg.com. When my CD ROM broke, they even sent me a new one, and payed for shipping to boot (hey hey). And it is no problem selling Dell either, people are comfortable with them (it is no wonder they sell more computers than anybody else).

Now that I know a bit about BIOS and the way the sytstem works, I think I am ready to build my own.

So, do I sound like an advertisment for Dell, who knows, maybe I am Mike?

Edit; continued: Yep, take a look at the Dimension XPS. Dell is the first company to release the 3.06 w/800 MHz system bus.

I know a lot of you computer freaks are way AMD happy, and it seems like their PR pitch works, but everyone I know who built one with AMD had overheating problems. But the price difference makes me think twice. It is true that it costs almost the same to build your own Intel machine as to buy one w/support and at home warranty from Dell, so the only way you can get your dolllars worth is to build AMD, dual proccessor, of course.

That is what I am going to do---because you can build a powerful AMD machine and make sure not to overheat it with dual processors...

Bla Bla Bla I know that I am going to hear much flaming from you AMD freaks...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Bought mine wo software. Cheap.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Duties are not performed for duty's sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
    Mark Twain

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    my first computer was bought of my dads mate, he builds pc for parts plus £50. and i now how to do it myself, so ive been doin the upgrades myself.
    but i just bought i compaq laptop, athalon 1500. and im very happy with it, and it didnt come with a load of crap on it, infact it barely had anythin on it. windows, couple of folders with diver stuff in it, and there diagnostic tools.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Every Computer i've had has been others people's outcasts, i've had to work hard to get life back in, But i have ended up with a good computer, Yes i would like a new one "out of the box" but were not all rich.
    But in that statement the pricecs are droping like so quick now.
    I am pleased with my pc, though it looks odd.
    The idiosyncratic syntax of riddles interests me

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by CELEBS_ARE_US@16 May 2003 - 12:48
    Every Computer i've had has been others people's outcasts, i've had to work hard to get life back in, But i have ended up with a good computer, Yes i would like a new one "out of the box" but were not all rich.
    But in that statement the pricecs are droping like so quick now.
    I am pleased with my pc, though it looks odd.
    Sorry for second post, but had to show you
    The idiosyncratic syntax of riddles interests me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast