Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: China shoots down satellite

Urgent

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- China last week successfully used a missile to destroy an orbiting satellite, U.S. government officials told CNN on Thursday, in a test that could undermine relations with the West and pose a threat to satellites important to the U.S. military.

According to a spokesman for the National Security Council, the ground-based, medium-range ballistic missile knocked an old Chinese weather satellite from its orbit about 537 miles above Earth. The missile carried a "kill vehicle" and destroyed the satellite by ramming it.

Source

Another case of US arrogance? They did the same thing in 1985, and were\are developing space weapons. The US have any number of satellites in orbit that are used constantly to direct laser guided bombs.

Look at this piece of arrogance ..

Under a space policy authorized by President Bush in August, the United States asserts a right to "freedom of action in space" and says it will "deter others from either impeding those rights or developing capabilities intended to do so."

The policy includes the right to "deny, if necessary, adversaries the use of space capabilities hostile to U.S. national interests."

Who the fuck do they think they are? They assert the right to use space for their own purposes and deny another country the right to defend themselves?

If Europe doesn't get up off it's arse, drop the US, and become a superpower in it's own right, the world will be in for another arms race and resulting cold war, with all that entails. They have proved beyond any doubt that a single superpower is more dangerous than two, or even three.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    WASHINGTON (CNN) -- China last week successfully used a missile to destroy an orbiting satellite, U.S. government officials told CNN on Thursday, in a test that could undermine relations with the West and pose a threat to satellites important to the U.S. military.

According to a spokesman for the National Security Council, the ground-based, medium-range ballistic missile knocked an old Chinese weather satellite from its orbit about 537 miles above Earth. The missile carried a "kill vehicle" and destroyed the satellite by ramming it.

Source

Another case of US arrogance? They did the same thing in 1985, and were\are developing space weapons. The US have any number of satellites in orbit that are used constantly to direct laser guided bombs.

Look at this piece of arrogance ..

Under a space policy authorized by President Bush in August, the United States asserts a right to "freedom of action in space" and says it will "deter others from either impeding those rights or developing capabilities intended to do so."

The policy includes the right to "deny, if necessary, adversaries the use of space capabilities hostile to U.S. national interests."

Who the fuck do they think they are? They assert the right to use space for their own purposes and deny another country the right to defend themselves?

Where does that say we are denying anyone the right to defend their country in respect to space ventures?

I don't find it unreasonable to "assert" ourselves against another countries hostile activities towards our country.

If Europe doesn't get up off it's arse, drop the US, and become a superpower in it's own right, the world will be in for another arms race and resulting cold war, with all that entails. They have proved beyond any doubt that a single superpower is more dangerous than two, or even three.

yo

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    bush is really into holywood, he think since all aliens 1st attack USA and they're the one to defeat them he owns the space.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Where does that say we are denying anyone the right to defend their country in respect to space ventures?
    Why did the US complain about China doing something they themselves have done?

How about this ..

"If we, for instance, got into a conflict over Taiwan, one of the first things they'd probably do would be to shoot down all of our lower Earth-orbit spy satellites, putting out our eyes," said John Pike of globalsecurity.org, a Web site that compiles information on worldwide security issues.

This is the US admitting they have low Earth spy satellites over China, then complaining when the Chinese develop the capacity to bring them down.

I don't find it unreasonable to "assert" ourselves against another countries hostile activities towards our country.
    Hostile activities? Protecting themselves against your hostile activities is hardly hostile.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Why did the US complain about China doing something they themselves have done?

First, let me say that I didn't hear any of this today so all I've got to go on is what you've posted.

If the US got "upset" about it, I would like to believe that it is with merit. Did China notify surrounding nations, UN, anyone that it would be launching an interstellar missile? A courtesy call of sorts to be certain no one got their finger close to "the button"? Did the US when we did it? I dunno, but it seems the right thing to do either way.

It certainly doesn't seem that anyone got their panties in a bunch though.

How about this ..

"If we, for instance, got into a conflict over Taiwan, one of the first things they'd probably do would be to shoot down all of our lower Earth-orbit spy satellites, putting out our eyes," said John Pike of globalsecurity.org, a Web site that compiles information on worldwide security issues.

This is the US admitting they have low Earth spy satellites over China, then complaining when the Chinese develop the capacity to bring them down.

Is it? OK, but you made it seem as if we have satellites simply hovering over them just waiting to make a move. These satellites may be a bit secretive in nature, but believe me, China knows they're there. We're not shocking them with that statement. They are circling the Earth 100's of times a day and are essentially the same distance over plenty of other countries as well in their daily loops.

Do you think that China has no "low Earth satellites"? I'm sure that would be one of our first moves as well.

Hostile activities? Protecting themselves against your hostile activities is hardly hostile.

What? This is so far off the bag/topic/point I don't know where to start.

I'll just leave it at this - What did we (USA) do in this that was so hostile?

yo

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    MCHeshPants420's Avatar Fake Shemp
    Mr Johndroe said the US "believes China's development and testing of such weapons is inconsistent with the spirit of co-operation that both countries aspire to in the civil space area".
    While the US may be unhappy about China's actions, the Washington administration has recently opposed international calls to end such tests.

It revised US space policy last October to state that Washington had the right to freedom of action in space, and the US is known to be researching such "satellite-killing" weapons itself.
    Source

Mr Johndroe should probably shut his mouth as they're not doing anything that USA isn't planning on doing, they should probably all cut it out though as the space debris will cause havoc up their and if it ruins my TV watching I'll be pissed.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    MCHeshPants420's Avatar Fake Shemp
    I'll just leave it at this - What did we (USA) do in this that was so hostile?
    USA opposes calls to end such tests and is planning on using such technology itself. China, as the world's next superpower, will obviously want to keep up.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHeshPants420 View Post
    While the US may be unhappy about China's actions, the Washington administration has recently opposed international calls to end such tests.

It revised US space policy last October to state that Washington had the right to freedom of action in space, and the US is known to be researching such "satellite-killing" weapons itself.
    Source

Mr Johndroe should probably shut his mouth as they're not doing anything that USA isn't planning on doing, they should probably all cut it out though as the space debris will cause havoc up their and if it ruins my TV watching I'll be pissed.
    I thought you was pissed when you watched TV.

Sorry, I forgot this was the Drawing Room. I should have said we are already getting the shit on TV.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Did China notify surrounding nations, UN, anyone that it would be launching an interstellar missile?
    Why do you bring up things that no-one has mentioned? If you have no argument why not just say nothing, or do some research.

Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle
    What? This is so far off the bag/topic/point I don't know where to start.
    Really? So if the US and China went to war over Taiwan that wouldn't be hostile? And they would have no right to respond? Do you ever think before you post?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Did China notify surrounding nations, UN, anyone that it would be launching an interstellar missile?
    That would be a dopey thing to do, considering there's no such thing as an interstellar missile.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast