Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: My Vision For Music of the Future

  1. #1
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Over here!
    Posts
    19,631
    Your favourite singers, bands, whoever, will have their own myspace.

    When they've finished writing/recording a song, they go "Hey, listen to my new song, 99p for a download". They can do this as frequently or as infrequently as they choose.

    The fans go OK. Click. listen. copy it to their ipods and into their playlists, or they go, no that's shit, try again.

    money goes straight to the artist, songs go straight to the audience. Knowledge of the bands is spread through fangroups and friends on myspace. Fans create artwork, publish their playlists, etc. Other fans go, "hey, that's nice, I'll download that", etc.

    All back-catalogues will be available for all time always. 99p a song.

    No repackaged fan-exploiting "greatest hits" or "remastered" collections

    Everyone's a winner.

    Except the record companies, who don't exist anymore.


    Also, on the band's myspace, they go:-

    Hey, I'm playing a live concert in YourTown. Get tickets here...

    And you go. Because it's cheaper than getting tickets from a toutconcert promoter


    What do you think? Too radical?

  2. Music   -   #2
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    30,399
    Not very fair on the public who do not have access to the internet.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

  3. Music   -   #3
    xplizid BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    50
    i agree as i do not have a myspace and is just not convenient.

  4. Music   -   #4
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    on something.
    Age
    38
    Posts
    22,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    Your favourite singers, bands, whoever, will have their own myspace.

    When they've finished writing/recording a song, they go "Hey, listen to my new song, 99p for a download". They can do this as frequently or as infrequently as they choose.

    The fans go OK. Click. listen. copy it to their ipods and into their playlists, or they go, no that's shit, try again.

    money goes straight to the artist, songs go straight to the audience. Knowledge of the bands is spread through fangroups and friends on myspace. Fans create artwork, publish their playlists, etc. Other fans go, "hey, that's nice, I'll download that", etc.

    All back-catalogues will be available for all time always. 99p a song.

    No repackaged fan-exploiting "greatest hits" or "remastered" collections

    Everyone's a winner.

    Except the record companies, who don't exist anymore.


    Also, on the band's myspace, they go:-

    Hey, I'm playing a live concert in YourTown. Get tickets here...

    And you go. Because it's cheaper than getting tickets from a toutconcert promoter


    What do you think? Too radical?
    I like the idea, even tho' I'm not that keen on myspace in particular.

    But a system like you describe would be a thing of beauty.
    Anyone who's in it for money rather than to get their art to the masses would probably not like it, tho'.

    As for people not having to internet...well, the world is increasingly coming to a point where the internet is available almost everywhere where poverty, censorship or wars doesn't reign supreme.

    Maybe one's money could be better spent if one lived in a part of the world without internet access (like a ticket to get oneself out of there, fast).

  5. Music   -   #5
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    30,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    Your favourite singers, bands, whoever, will have their own myspace.

    When they've finished writing/recording a song, they go "Hey, listen to my new song, 99p for a download". They can do this as frequently or as infrequently as they choose.

    The fans go OK. Click. listen. copy it to their ipods and into their playlists, or they go, no that's shit, try again.

    money goes straight to the artist, songs go straight to the audience. Knowledge of the bands is spread through fangroups and friends on myspace. Fans create artwork, publish their playlists, etc. Other fans go, "hey, that's nice, I'll download that", etc.

    All back-catalogues will be available for all time always. 99p a song.

    No repackaged fan-exploiting "greatest hits" or "remastered" collections

    Everyone's a winner.

    Except the record companies, who don't exist anymore.


    Also, on the band's myspace, they go:-

    Hey, I'm playing a live concert in YourTown. Get tickets here...

    And you go. Because it's cheaper than getting tickets from a toutconcert promoter


    What do you think? Too radical?
    I forgot to add that it is already happening. I believe the UK recently had its first number one based on internet sales. A lot of music sites in America have 'snippets' that you can hear of the music they are selling. You can puchase the single track cheap. Once big business gets a hold on it, the price will rise and we people will go back to filesharing.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

  6. Music   -   #6
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    London
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,530
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Not very fair on the public who do not have access to the internet.
    lets face it if your too poor to afford the internet you probably cant afford 10 a cd either.

    I can see alot more acts coming through like this. At some point the record industry will have to die and new legislation will have to be bought in to compensate artists fairly while allowing for internet sharing.

    so many people do it these days that its now pretty much impossible to continue any system where it is illegal. The goverment should step forward and say copyright infringement laws where $750 per song are to be used from people who profit from piracy like the law was intended not for filesharers. I bet they would soon sort out a new working business model.

  7. Music   -   #7
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    30,399
    Quote Originally Posted by 4play View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Not very fair on the public who do not have access to the internet.
    lets face it if your too poor to afford the internet you probably cant afford 10 a cd either.
    Internet is approximately 250 a year.
    Cost of computer, say another 250 a year, allowing for replacement, electricity, Phone rental( A lot of pensioners have moved to Pay As You Go) and various other sundries.(recordable DVD's and CD's etc)

    I can think of a lot of people who cant afford that outlay every year. They still buy CD's and DVD's however. There a lot of old Grannies out there that buy CD's.(Daniel O'Donnel fans) A lot of old Grandads too.

    Remember that only yesterday it was revealed in the UK that pensioners are now the biggest age group. On state pension you would be asking them to lay out a lot of their income.
    Last edited by bigboab; 12-15-2006 at 10:26 AM.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

  8. Music   -   #8
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    austin, tx
    Posts
    3,588
    not gonna work for music. 1 person dl's the song then p2p cumz into effect.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

    Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

  9. Music   -   #9
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    London
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,530
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails View Post
    not gonna work for music. 1 person dl's the song then p2p cumz into effect.
    not really true.
    lots of people will still carry on downloading from the artists website. Itunes charges what 99p per song but people still buy songs even though its normally available from p2p networks much earlier at higher quality.

    without the record companies the artist is making much more money per download so they dont have to sell as many anyway.

  10. Music   -   #10
    Shellshocked
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    28
    Is this idea cutting CD's and Vinyl entirely out of music here?
    It's an alright idea, but if it did happen I personally would still prefer to have a record or CD in my hand. Even if I hardly played it, but played the ripped tracks through the computer, it's nice to know you have an original somewhere...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •