Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brilliant Letter on TheRegister

Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by www.theregister.com
    Dear Record Industry,

For the gajillionth time.

You take away copyright from musicians the minute they sign. That is what musicians are signing, a document giving you the rights to their music. "Rights holders" are not musicians. Real musicians don't even see music as "property" they see it as an essential part of their personal self expression. You exploit that. I hate you for it.

People actually tell me that "stealing mp3s hurts the artists community". Congratulations on the success of your poisonous propaganda. It's strange how they never tell me "clueless execs bury the best music and greenlight the worst".

You do not represent artists, you represent shareholders. When artists stop being wildly profitable, you drop them. You don't "protect" them. You drop them. You prefer to make Beatles box sets. So stop freaking lying about it and pretending you are some kind of Happy Music Friends Club where Art Comes First!!!

In fact, fuck you, you are a stain on the planet, you decrease everybody's quality of life and you stifle the expression of truly heartfelt emotions and ideas. Parasites. Leeches. Assholes. Fucktards. You don't know how to make music, you don't care about music, you don't care about artists, you don't even know what real music feels like. Shove your full page advert up your arse you despicable lazy crunts.

You're lucky I live in Lithuania where I didn't have to see your filthy lies in print, and where copyright receives as much respect as the Presidency, i.e. none.

Sincerely, Mark Splinter.

This expresses exactly how I feel on the matter

Full article here:

http://www.theregister.com/2006/12/12/letters_1212/

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Not too shaby, but do you think they care? Nah...
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I don't blame the RIAA for trying to protect their business one bit. I do think that they have filed some of the silliest lawsuits ever though.

yo

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    They're facing extinction and they know it.

The whole purpose of a record company is to distribute music to the masses.

With the advent of the internet, artists can distribute their own music, and they can target particular types of music at a particular audience. It's just down to marketing and word of mouth.

There's much more flexibility, and much more choice, and no longer are artists shackled by the need to create music that appeals to a mass audience, so that it will sell well.

Record companies are obsolete, and they know it. In 20 years time, there won't be any more record companies. I just hope the legacy they leave us isn't a load of ridiculous laws regarding copyright

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    The whole purpose of a record company is to distribute music to the masses in order to make a profit.
    Fixed.

yo

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    All said and done... I miss my scratched vinyls and without those record companies... I wouldn't have had them to miss...

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Yeah, I'm not saying record companies never had a purpose, before the internet, but now they are obsolete.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Still, it seems that if you want to be a major music artist...you'll have to go through them.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    No, no you don't. Look at the Arctic Monkeys.

10. File Sharing   -   #10

Unsure

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    No, no you don't. Look at the Arctic Monkeys.
    The who? And what about foriegn bands (distribution)...like Rammstein, although its still hard to find all their albums in the U.S.
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 12-14-2006 at 02:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast