Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seagate or WD?

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tralalala View Post
    ummm... am looking for at least 300GB.. 150 aint enough.. but you're saying WD 7200RPM 320GB is fine?
    Yep. Either way you go, you'll be fine. I've always stuck with WD because they have always treated me right, but I also have a Seagate 200GB as well right now. No complaints.

I think they are both quality. It all comes down to preference - Chevy vs Ford type thing.
    You said it all right there ! I just bought a WD 250 GB FOR $88.00 cnd I'm happy like I had sense .

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Everything that's not Maxtor is fine.

I personally always preffer WD as I have been through 23 HDD's the last 6 years and none of them has ever failed.

I have had 10 Seagate disk too and 3 of the died, but that might just be bad luck as I have a friend that has 40 Seagate disks (yeah he got too much money) and no problems.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    General2k's Avatar Death's End BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    I wouldnt go with WD pieces of crap. Ive have a 160gb Samsung drive and it has last me for 5 years and its still going. Got a 3 year old WD drive and the POS didnt work and was very noisy. So I got another 250gb Samsung and its running excellent.
    When I got the new Samsung the computer tech said that Samsung will no longer be selling to Canada and that they will be replacing them with Seagates which are comparible in quality.
    Gee, Brain what do you want to do tonight?
    The same thing we do every night Pinky. Try to take over the world!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    If I may add...... STAY AWAY from Maxtor harddrives. They are very,very evil things.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Maxtor is the spawn of satan

You might wanna have a look at Samsung's Spinpoints as well, tralala. They are all right as far as the performance goes, quiet, and usually cheap-ish.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    JordoR's Avatar Madden Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park View Post
    If I may add...... STAY AWAY from Maxtor harddrives. They are very,very evil things.
    I second that... I personally would go with WD HD myself. The only problem I've had with them, was it not fitting properly into my PS2 to connect to the network adapter ... but in terms of PC use, their top notch.
    Peter: Excuse me, is your refrigerator running?
    Because if it is, it probably runs like you - very homosexually.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Well, I've been using Maxtor drives for about 8 years now and had my first failure last year. They replaced it without quibble.
    Maxtor are now owned by Seagate.

Oddly enough, I've seen two (and heard of another) Western Digital drives that have gone faulty - a loud click and then inaccessible through DOS or Windows.

My latest is Samsung SATA. I bought it cos everyone seems to be selling them at the local fairs st very reasonable prices. Apart from the very quiet motor whir it's silent even when reading/writing. I'm impressed.

The point of all this?
    They're all about as reliable as each other so you can really base your choice on performance & price.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    well the main reason i asked was because the PC place i usually go to deals with WD, and was just trying to figure out whether or not it's worth while going forward with it

thanks for all the replies guys

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    ok have ordered the 320GB WD HDD..

just one more thing - how do i go about partitioning it?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by tralalala View Post
    just one more thing - how do i go about partitioning it?
    Depends.
    Is this a second/storage drive or will it be the primary OS drive?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast