Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could Americans elect a black president in 2008?

Question Mark

With the rise and rise of Barack Obama, the question begs to be asked ...

Could Americans elect a black president in 2008?

If the Dems are gonna win in 2008 it looks like the voters will have either Obama or Clinton.

So if Obama gets the nomination, is the US ready for a black president?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Barack has no track record. Hell no.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    Does he stand less chance than Clinton?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    Does he stand less chance than Clinton?
    I wouldn't vote for either one, personally.

edit: Well let me rephrase. In the primary I wouldn't vote for either. When you get down to the real election, you must choose your evil. I'd vote Republican if they aren't too fucked up. I could even vote Independent.

The problem with many comes because most people are brainless sheep and vote their party no matter what. Now I can understand this if you are ignorant of the candidate. The only thing the person has to go on is the party's ideology and so ticks Dem or Repub all the way down.

However, I'm absolutely sure some may know their candidate to be a sumumabitch and vote for them anyway.

I mean look what happened last election. I don't know whether it's fortunate or unfortunate that we don't have an incumbent this time. Bush pretty much did a shitty job his first go round so one had that to look at yet he still won.

edit: I hope Barack doesn't run actually. Just like the brainless within their own party, there are brainless within their own race and will vote the black just because. He would steal a lot of the black vote (which is mostly Dem) from (a possibly) more legitimate candidate. He need more legislating under his belt. I wouldn't put a third year judge on the Supreme Court so who the hell is Barack for President?
    Last edited by Busyman™; 12-17-2006 at 03:54 PM.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I think sex and race are less of an issue than say, religious beliefs.
    Of course it's possible that a non white male could become president. I am also sure that there is a not entirely insignificant amount of voters that could not vote for a candidate (political beliefs aside) specifically because the candidate was a non white male. Likewise there is a not so insignificant group that would vote for a candidate specifically because their were not a white male.

I don't think it's the partisan voters that would be the problem but the swing voters one way or the other

He has a record (for good or bad) that isn't known too well (local legislator). The right wing apparently think he has enough of a track record to label him and seem to be worried about him running, already playing the racial "fear card"..... not just because he is mixed race but because he has an Arab sounding middle name

Bush jnr. was/is inexperienced in many areas. I know this is a bad example because of the bad job he has done, but the inexperience wasn't the only downfall. What happened was he chose one set of advisers that had just one political viewpoint. He allowed no dissenting opinions.
    Last edited by vidcc; 12-17-2006 at 04:11 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    `The thread title already answers it's own question, by being racial.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by 100% View Post
    `The thread title already answers it's own question, by being racial.
    WTF does that mean?

Busyman ... Clinton was a real hawk over the invasion of Iraq, something she's having trouble living down, whereas Obama was always against it, he also doesn't carry any of Clinton's baggage such as the Blowjob etc..

Do you think it's possible people will see Obama a breath of fresh air?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    But Obama is only one letter away from Osama.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    But Obama is only one letter away from Osama.
    And this does the American stereotype no good
    [youtube]iIXMKXHKSzI[/youtube]
    Last edited by vidcc; 12-17-2006 at 08:19 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Clinton has bags of charisma so the American people could see past the sex scandals. Same as with Kennedy.

I don't think the Americans are ready to elect a black man. I don't think the British are either. How many black people are in the commons, or the congress. Less than would be proportionate methinks.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast