View Poll Results: Should we Trade Invites?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it will give me a chance to join the good ones

23 48.94%
  • No, invites should only be given freely to users who you know you can trust

12 25.53%
  • Yes, but only to the sites that aren't really private

1 2.13%
  • Yes, but the invite scammers are a problem

8 17.02%
  • No, I don't have any good invites to trade so it isn't fair

2 4.26%
  • unsure... i use diet Kazaa Lite max +

1 2.13%

Thread: Should Invites from Private Torrent Sites be Traded?

Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Why?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Traded to "trusted people I say yes. Mostly I don't trade though I give freely. How else are we supposed to bring in new members? I have invited people here and they have been noting short of spectacular community members on the sites I have invited them to. Okay of course there are cheaters and liars out there too, but this is the world we live in. Are we supposed to distrust all because of a few 5hitheads? Eh thats my opinion anyway.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Shadowfire's Avatar catch-22 BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    If I am the sysop of a private tracker, I'd say no. I would be pretty pissed off if people unscrupulously gave invites to my tracker to people as long as they get invites of same value in return. That can bring in cheaters and rats of all sorts. However, I think that invites should be freely given to people who prove that they can be an asset to the tracker.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    aburyach's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    To be honest, I think the whole "invite trading" concept is very good for the "top" sites. You see, by making invites rare/hard to obtain, the site ensures that only few users will be invited. And how can these users be invited? By trading invites to similar sites. If, for example, you have an OiNK invite, and you wish to trade for a BitmeTV invite, you will most likely be a good asset for BitmeTV because you have already proved that you can maintain a good ratio and not cheat on OiNK (because you have invites at OiNK). Sure, you are inviting people over the internet and not close friends, but there is a higher chance that your internet friend will be a better asset than a friend you may now in person (ie, you may just invite your known friend for free- and your known friend, not knowing of the value of the site, cheats on the site.) If you want proof of my opinion, just look at ScT. It is very hard to get in, but for those that are in, you know that they are seasoned bittorrenters who will and do make the site great.
    Last edited by aburyach; 12-18-2006 at 12:42 AM. Reason: spelling

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    midospirit's Avatar ToЯRenT AdDicT BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by aburyach View Post
    To be honest, I think the whole "invite trading" concept is very good for the "top" sites. You see, by making invites rare/hard to obtain, the site ensures that only few users will be invited. And how can these users be invited? By trading invites to similar sites. If, for example, you have an OiNK invite, and you wish to trade for a BitmeTV invite, you will most likely be a good asset for BitmeTV because you have already proved that you can maintain a good ratio and not cheat on OiNK (because you have invites at OiNK). Sure, you are inviting people over the internet and not close friends, but there is a higher chance that your internet friend will be a better asset than a friend you may now in person (ie, you may just invite your known friend for free- and your known friend, not knowing of the value of the site, cheats on the site.) If you want proof of my opinion, just look at ScT. It is very hard to get in, but for those that are in, you know that they are seasoned bittorrenters who will and do make the site great.
    I completely agree with you

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    kavalchuk17's Avatar Something RETIRED BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    wow, good post

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    /agreed couldnīt have said it any better... good post!

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    j0hn's Avatar leet poster BT Rep: +1
    i agree in part. i dont think u can excuse trading invites just because the other persons trade is of the same quality of site. i still believe u should "know" them in some way. that could be online only though, whether it be from irc, or a foum like this 1.

an example of this would be these forums. if somebody who was a member for a month and had 5 posts offered me a trade for a really good site, then i wouldn't do it. i dont know that person, they could cheat, could have fake ratios, could be a leacher, etc... it doesnt help the "private" tracker in any way by doing this.
    on the other hand, if somebody on these forums has 250 posts and has been a member for 6 months, and offers an identicle trade, then i would most likely take them up on it. i've been here a while now, and not just part of the invites section, i use the whole forum on an almost daily basis. i also believe myself to be a good judge of character, and believe that 6 months and 250 posts would satisfy my worries about bringing down 1 of the sites im a member at.

so i've voted: No, invites should only be given freely to users who you know you can trust
    but i dont think u need to know the person offline, but some sort of standard(like 6 months membership and 250+ posts here) should be aimed for. ur standards may be higher or lower than mine, thats ur own choice. im glad to say i think that in general FST members are a damn site better than other public forum communities.