Thread: How Do I Use A Fdisk?

I wonīt use it now but I reinstall my computer like 6 times a year and next time I do it,then I would try using fdisk cause I have heard that itīs good to do it before reinstalling the computer.

But I donīt even know what a fdisk is and how to use it,I have Windows XP Home Edition.

So can someone tell me what a fdisk is and how to use it?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    fdisk is used to partition or make other "drives" out of one, like to split it 1 for o/s 1 for kazaa, you dont really need to use fdisk if you format

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Ex-member
    fdisk is a DOS-mode program used to partition hard drives. It is used for making/managing FAT32 partitions (FAT32 is the file system used by Windows 9x).

If you are going to use WinXP after using Win9x and want a clean install, you must use fdisk (or something else) to delete the FAT32 partition (WinXP uses a different file system, NTFS). To do this, start your computer with a Windows 98 Startup Disc and type fdisk when you see the command prompt ("c:/") Then follow the onscreen instructions.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Fdisk is a disk partitioning tool. You boot up to DOS and type fdisk to launch it. It is used to make FAT of FAT32 partitions. (For use with DOS,Windows 3.1,95,95B,98,98SE and ME

I don't recommend using fdisk for XP.

I recommend that you use the bootable Windows XP CD to create NTFS partitions for XP.

Use NTFS partitions with Window NT, 2000 and XP.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Ex-member
    Yeah, I should have mentioned that.

Use fdisk to delete any FAT32 partitions and use the WinXP CD to create an NTFS partition.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    You can use the bootable XP CD to remove FAT/FAT32 partitions also.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Duties are not performed for duty's sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
    Mark Twain

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Forget about the CD. Just do it in WinXP instead. Start diskmgmt.msc or compmgmt.msc and click Disk Management.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    That's cool, random nut, I just checked out that utility.
    I have now learned all about the 'Disk Management' tool that is built into Windows XP.

Now that's powerful. B)

Edit: You can also get there by:

[Start]>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management.