Thread: How Can I turn Windows XP intro sound down ?

Hi Guys

Here is my last silly question of the year (promise !)

Does anyone know of a way to turn down the Windows XP intro sound which comes up when you boot up XP ?

I dont mind the sound its just that it seems so much louder than any other sound or music and it plays hell with my speakers.

Or is there an easy way to turn it off ?

Regards

Digby

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds tab.

Change it to whatever you want. If you want nothing, just make a blank wav and select it.

I buddy of mine has his computer say, "I'll be back" (Schwarzenegger) when he turns his PC off.
    Last edited by Skizo; 12-18-2006 at 06:19 PM.

yo

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    If you find the sounds in control panel you do not have to make a blank mp3 (the files are wav anyway. just scroll down untill you see the Windows startup listing, use the little play button to be sure you have the right one and then in the box select none instead the startup wav. If you really want to get funky you can go to C > Windows > Media, find the wav file and edit the volume with something like cooledit pro (version1.2 was good if you can still find it) Adobe bought it and ruined it. Using the volume or amplification editor you can lower it to your hearts desire and replace the file after renaming the original to oldstartup or xstartup.wav so you keep a good copy of the file. Or even better, name the file startup_lowV.wav, put it in the windows media folder, go back to control panel sounds and it should appear as a choice in the drop down. You can also make your own wav files, keep them in a folder under Your Documents and use them by pointing to them with the browse button in the sounds editor window.
    Last edited by Appzalien; 12-18-2006 at 05:59 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    the files are wav
    How easily I forget.

yo

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Thanks guys

I'll give it a go. Now where's my copy of Whole Lot of Love ?

Regards

Digby

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    the files are wav
    How easily I forget.
    Ya, I don't think I've even changed the startup sounds since the windows98 days.
    Forgot they were wav, probably because you don't see wavs anywhere other than in windows control panel stuff. (Vista still uses wav ).

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    You know you could edit the *.wav file with an audio editor (Like Nero Wave Editor) and change the volume from there. I had to do that for my sound scheme, except I had to make'em louder (cause my ass is deaf).
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..