Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Memory Resource Hog

LilAznAccommodator's Avatar Celestial Seraph
    Dear Readers,

This is for my Sisters Computer and for some reason whenever we boot up there are a few problems...

1. Fan makes wierd sound (And I think it is due to the ColdNess as once it is warmed up and you turn off and back on... It doens't make the sound but if you turn it off when the fan makes the sound and turn if on it will continue to make that noise, it is an Intake Fan)

2. DualBoot there are two Windows to choose from on bootup and I only have 1 HD so I was wondering if I can rid one without having to Format...

3. When I boot up it LAGS and takes either around 5-7minutes to settle down or to just ctrl+alt+del and delete the svchost.exe that is taking up 99% of the CPU Usage it is perfect.

So if anyone could be so kind as to help me with any of these problems I would appreciate it, thank you in advance.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    1) Don't know about the fan, try dusting it off and make sure it's well attached, maybe?

2) Are there two versions of windows installed, then? What happens when you pick either option?

If one does nothing you can edit it out of the menu for now. System->Advanced->Start-something->edit, but make damned sure you are getting rid of the right one. Be very careful.

Otherwise, if you've got two separate installations, you can get rid of the one that doesn't have the mbr on it without any probs, by deleting or wiping the partition (the other one would be worse), just get rid of the corresponding entry in the bootlist as well (to start with).

3) If you've got XP, start off by trying: start menu->run and type "services.msc", and go through all the processes, use this as a reference. If that site says a service isn't needed, try setting it to manual first.

Also google any running services you don't recognize, see if there's any unnecessary crap running.
    Last edited by Snee; 12-18-2006 at 11:57 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    For the OS Selection they are both the same... And there is only 1 harddrive... So I shall go and try that... As for the Services.msc it is Svchost.exe that causes the lag and there are mult. copies of that ><

Edit: Okay the OS was resolved as they were both the same in the method you told me so that is cleared... Now it is up to #3 and I am unclear.
    Last edited by LilAznAccommodator; 12-19-2006 at 01:01 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Lots of windows' services will pop up as svchost, tho', that's why I want you to start with turning off any unnecessary stuff, if you get lucky it's something you don't need that's messing with you.

But just as before you ought to be careful so as to not turn off anything you need.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Alrights I shall double check with that.

Edit: Alrights didn't have anything changed haha.. So bleh.. Dunno if a HiJack This log would help.
    Last edited by LilAznAccommodator; 12-19-2006 at 05:08 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Anything changed?

Some of the recommended settings aren't the standard ones and since it you say the computer runs ok with it turned off, I wonder if it's a necessary service. On the site I gave you, it says what the process name for each service is, so focus on ones call svchost.

Otherwise you could just let it run for a couple of hours, see if it dies down after that or if it comes back after reboot then, I dunno

EDit: you can also run msinfo32, check under program environment/running (or maybe active, my os isn't in english), see if it runs from anywhere unusual.

How many svchosts do you have running, btw?
    Last edited by Snee; 12-19-2006 at 10:51 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    svchost is a Windows process. that manages a group of services. It can be executed multiple times simultaeously to control several different groups of services.
    Seeing multiple instances of svchost in Task Manager is not unusual or considered suspicious.

1. Click Start on the Windows taskbar, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type CMD, and then press ENTER.
    3. Type Tasklist /SVC, and then press ENTER.

This will list the services that each instance of svchost controls.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    There are 6 instances of svchost.exe.
    2-Network Service
    1- Local System
    3- System

And yeah still no change.. trying Chewies check.

Edit: Ehh everything seems to be fine.. and yeah as mentioned before after leaving it alone for like a few minutes it just dies down and goes to normal....

again should I post a HiJack This log?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    What I meant was for you to check which services running as/under svchost, like this one (note the top right corner of the description) were active, if any of them aren't necessary for you, try turning those off, and see whether the problem is still there.

With any luck, it's one of the unnecessary ones that is giving you issues.

And yes, chewy, multiple instances of svchost isn't strange, a huge amount of them is tho' (I seldom see more than four, altho' 6 is ok, I reckon), and to compound the issue, virii have been known to run services masked as svchost.exe (or at least something like "scvhost.exe"), from odd locations.

That's why I wanted him to count them, and check where they were running from

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY View Post
    What I meant was for you to check which services running as/under svchost, like this one (note the top right corner of the description) were active, if any of them aren't necessary for you, try turning those off, and see whether the problem is still there.

With any luck, it's one of the unnecessary ones that is giving you issues.

And yes, chewy, multiple instances of svchost isn't strange, a huge amount of them is tho' (I seldom see more than four, altho' 6 is ok, I reckon), and to compound the issue, viruses have been known to run services masked as svchost.exe (or at least something like "scvhost.exe"), from odd locations.

That's why I wanted him to count them, and check where they were running from
    I was clarifying the purpose of svchost for LilAA.
    The directions I gave will show which services are controlled by which instance of svchost.
    Given the process ID (add the column in Task Manager to see it) from the instance of svchost that runs at 100%, one can narrow it down to only those services it controls

Quote Originally Posted by LilAznAccommodator View Post
    There are 6 instances of svchost.exe.
    2-Network Service
    1- Local System
    3- System

And yeah still no change.. trying Chewies check.

Edit: Ehh everything seems to be fine.. and yeah as mentioned before after leaving it alone for like a few minutes it just dies down and goes to normal....

again should I post a HiJack This log?
    Yes, post a log, there may be something one of us has come across before.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast