Thread: s-video

Poster BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Has anyone ever hooked up a computer to your TV with an s-video cable? I am wondering on the quality on the TV screen with xvid movies or dvd's from my computer.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    I can tell you, its not that great. You'll probably need to use a kind of keystone correction to get the movie correctly played.(nvidia offers this in their drivers, ati probably 2) Using it to browse you desktop isnt that great either because of the resolution used by your tv, reading text is allmost impossible. Besides that you cant play movies on an external screen because of some copy protection, it allways gave me a black videowindow (used many software players). You can solve this by configuring your tv as the primary monitor but this means you cant play movies on your pc-screen anymore unless you change it back.

My advise is to get yourself a cheap 40-60 euro dvd player with xvid/divx support. (my post is based on an old tv, new digital (hd) tv's probably have better support)

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    me and some friends hooked a laptop up to my tv to watch some movies. on the laptop it recognized the tv as a second monitor and making the movie full screen on it made a pretty decent picture imho. we even watched a streaming football game thru tvuplayer on it.

i also use a divx dvd player, but sometimes movies are encoded poorly and then the alternatives are to hope progressive scan shapes it up or the s-video route.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    i do it all the time -- with a movie you can't tell the quality sucks, but on your desktop you'll most def notice. Go to a local electronics store -- they'll have some better options for you to connect your computer to your TV.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I use it all th time, and I'm getting hi quality on my TV.
    get a good s-video cable, I mean spend a few more $ to get better quality, they're not expensive though.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Fulanito's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    Quote Originally Posted by Algerinò View Post
    I use it all th time, and I'm getting hi quality on my TV.
    get a good s-video cable, I mean spend a few more $ to get better quality, they're not expensive though.
    yeah spend some more on that cable u wont regret
    " I didn't want to become Peruvian, i just got lucky "

No preocupetion mister! A mi los Apaches me apapachan!
    Once a noob, always a noob!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    popwar's Avatar Popwar
    yea. but buy another cable to hook up for sound or else u wont get any.