Princeton's Ed Felten will be joining Lawrence Lessig, John Gilmore, Brewster Kahle, and other prominent technology activists, researchers, and scholars on the board of the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF). Felten was previously on the EFF's advisory board, and he was involved in the EFF's anti-DMCA suit against the RIAA in 2001.

Since the RIAA suit at the height of the P2P and DMCA wars, the focus of Felten's research has shifted to other areas of information security, and he has been at the forefront of the information security community's investigations of vulnerabilities in electronic voting systems. So Felten's addition to the EFF's board shows the organization's commitment to countering the threat to democracy posed by e-voting insecurities.

For those Ars readers who've been following my coverage of the electronic voting issue, you may remember Felten from the infamous Princeton video, in which a Diebold Accuvote TS is compromised by vote-stealing software in a matter of minutes. (It was actually this video, and the depths to which it alarmed me, that motivated me to write an article describing how to steal an election by hacking the vote. I watched that video about two weeks before the November mid-terms, I flipped out, and I immediately set to work on the article.)

Felten produced the aforementioned video and led the team that exposed a huge number of vulnerabilities in the Diebold machines as Director of Princeton's Center for Information Technology Policy. His weblog, Freedom to Tinker, is one of the bookmarks that I visit regularly.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061220-8469.html