Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can my ISP bust me?

Hey guys,
    I have been using newsgroups for the past few months. I download A LOT of material. Say 500-700GBs of data. Whats the worst thing my ISP could do to me? Disconnect service?Can they monitor how much I d/l?

Thanks!

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Your ISP don't care about what you do aslong as they get paid....some ISP may do that speed throttle thing if you go overboard and i personally think 500-700GB is overboard. Others may disagree.
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by natedagw821 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I have been using newsgroups for the past few months. I download A LOT of material. Say 500-700GBs of data. Whats the worst thing my ISP could do to me? Disconnect service?Can they monitor how much I d/l?

Thanks!

They do monitor how much you download. Well, monitor is probably a bad term, but when you are using that much bandwidth it will typically raise a flag so to speak.

Most users will get a letter in the mail or stating to tone it down. I've seen plenty of posts stating such action on this board. I seriously doubt they would just disconnect you without warning.

yo

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Thanks for the replies guys!

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Of course they can bust you, huge amounts of encrypted data sticks out like a sore thumb.

However, why would they bother? They wouldn't get your $40 a month if they busted you. The catch-22 is, they won't give you up to the authorities unless they are being pressured with law-suits that will cost them money. They would much rather make money off you until the time comes that they may lose money to protect you.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    LOL I download from ftp over 400gigs a month, been doing that for years now. Now I newsgroups and the FTP so it's only gonna increase. It is a Catch-22 like Damnatory said, but all the files are encrypted. If they see the bw usage, to them they have no clue what it is being transfered. Innocent till proven guilty, and without damning evidence nothing will happen.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Hm IC....well how about this then: Would it be better for me to switch to DSL? Im currently on cable(Wide Open West is my current provider). Do all ISPs monitor downloads?

Thanks again!

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    I really wouldnt worry too much. They'll most likely suspend your service 1st, IF they do anything at all.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Anyone have a guide/tips to best anonymous practices for P2P against ISP's ?

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    One more thing....Because my ISP monitors what I download. They must also monitor the amount of bandwidth that im using ie how many kbps Im using up...would it be a wise decision to put a "speed limit" on my downloads? that way I wont be using up a lot of bandwidth..technically..

I actually talked to my ISP today and the guy told me this: All they really care about is how much bandwidth ur using and for how long.

Im just lookin for advice!

Thanks again for all your help!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast