Thread: Clipboard Data Theft Now Optional With IE7

Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    an anonymous reader writes "It's been known for a long time that Internet Explorer will happily allow any Web site to steal data that users have recently cut-and-pasted or copied into the Windows 'clipboard' data storage area. Well, now it looks like Microsoft has finally decided that this 'feature' was probably ill-advised, according to The Washington Post's Security Fix blog. IE7 throws up a warning asking whether users really want to let a site filch their clipboard data (Firefox, Opera and most other non-IE browsers forbid this behavior by default)."

Source: http://developers.slashdot.org/artic.../12/21/1836240

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    wow. that is pretty scary. What would be a legitimate reason for them to see this data, anyway? I just don't understand the way microsoft thinks sometimes.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    I know, sometimes it feels like the big wigs at Redmond are actually making it a goal to release the most insecure operating system possible. I'm just glad firefox is becoming more and more popular.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    I didn't use firefox for the longest time and now I can't go back. Every now and again I use the "view this page in IE" button, but only when I have to.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Yeah, I wish I could toss out IE completely but there's always that stubborn site that refuses to work in anything but IE. I don't if its still the case, but I remember hearing something about the US Patent & Trademark Office only being accessible by IE. I don't know if was the entire site or some subsection, but if this is still happening it is quite appalling.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    TYPE R's Avatar ( ^ ^ ) BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    scary shit ur what

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Yeah, I shudder to think what surprises Vista holds after launch.