Thread: raid/sata driver woes

Duffman's Avatar Poster
    I got my 2nd 10k raptor now, and I'm trying to get this raid 0 setup to work right, but having some problems. The setup boots up fine, im posting from it now. But theres one unknown device in device manager, which I've traced to be pci bus related. I've updated nearly every driver I could, but the sata drivers keep saying device not found... and it's really bugging me.

My setup is:
    Abit nf7-s2g
    amd 1800 @ 3200
    1 gig pc 3200
    2 10k sata raptors
    1 ide hdd and dvd drive, seperate ide channels though.

I also installed it with a custom made xp cd with nlite, and slipstreamed the floppy raid drivers.

The prog to identify the unknown device gives me this:

Where do I start?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...es=1&model=205

When I look at the site you should have everything if you installed
    "SiliconImage 3112 SATA Driver"
    "nForce Chipset Driver"

At least when I install drivers I don't have anything "missing" after installing chipset drivers.

You are sure you haven't disabled anything related to the RAID in BIOS or something, as Windows might find a device even if it is disabled, but cannot use it.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    No, the array is working fine, Im posting this post from the raid array, but that one uknown device is annoying me, and the computer has been a little strange since the install, and its not nearly as fast as it should be...

When I run the sata driver from abit, its an exe install wizard, not just a folder with the drivers... and the install program says device not found...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    If you try to "update driver" and point to the temp fold that the setup extracts files to, maybe that'll work?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    I think I have it figure out, the raid driver on the setup cd were wrong and caused a crappy dominoe effect, im gonna try a format with a diff cd...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    Im still not 100 % sure about what model this mobo is. It died once and I rma'd it, the new one had a sticker over the model number with a diff model, and then the sticker fell off, so I'm confused here, nf-7, nf7-s2, nf-7s, nf7-s 2.0, nf7-sg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    It should be a model name printed on the motherboard. On my boards they are by the GFX card slots.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    I think I have it figure out, the raid driver on the setup cd were wrong and caused a crappy dominoe effect, im gonna try a format with a diff cd...
    Are these the drivers you slipstreamed?

Did you remove any legacy drivers when you created the nLite install?
    Perhaps you eliminated one that Windows wants.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Skillz808's Avatar Shadowness BT Rep: +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Im still not 100 % sure about what model this mobo is. It died once and I rma'd it, the new one had a sticker over the model number with a diff model, and then the sticker fell off, so I'm confused here, nf-7, nf7-s2, nf-7s, nf7-s 2.0, nf7-sg
    use cpu-z for cpu-id.com it will tell you your motherboard specs.