Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am very very confused...

So can I used newsgroups for free or not? If so, how? Can I get the really good stuff without paying?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    DISABLED PRIVS
    No, you can't get good stuff without paying. Free servers are crap.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    I get good stuff from Usenet and don't pay, and I'm not going to write a long essay here about what I've learned over the years.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Athlon64's Avatar Newsgroup Bot
    If your not going to help why did you even waste you time posting!?

As to DontCare question: If your ISP provides access to usenet with decent retention you might have a chance. Who is your ISP provider?

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    stay low frag hard BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Dontcare I guess everyone ran you off the invite boards for being an ass, so now you need a new place to troll.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    I have used AT&T's (now Comcast) and Charter Communications' free NNTP servers for a while and they were both excellent and reliable, with retention and decent speed. Although, Charter only allows 2 connections per IP and now only allows 20 days or so of retention since they switched News Service Providers last year. I am still on Charter's free service but I can't use my connection to its fullest capacity I also use a payserver whose retention can be upto 60 days for certain popular groups, I have an unlimited download account for which I pay monthly and over 16 connections per IP costing me only $15.00.

Unless you already have a good ISP with a reputable NNTP you can possible get away with not paying for premium, I was lucky for a while but its usually frustating when you can't fully take advantage of the system/setup.
    Last edited by Porkape; 12-30-2006 at 07:01 PM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Since Mesa doesn't want to write an essay, I did:

http://www.cdwmobile.com/blog/2006/12/14/newsgroup-beginners-guide-no-longer-a-reason-to-be-scared/

Its not just about free usenet - its a newbies guide but check the providers portion, it gives you some options and links.

The quick answer is, free and usenet don't mix too well. You can do it, but you have to be willing to constantly change servers or deal with slow speeds. There are A LOT of good cheap alternatives. One of my favorites is usenetservers, which lets you pay for 3 days at a time - 3 bucks for 3 days. Its not the best deal if you want to use a lot every month, but if you just want to grab a few movies or programs every once and a while, its a great option.

Junkie
    Last edited by bsgjunkie; 12-31-2006 at 03:27 AM.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Whoa..

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlon64 View Post
    If your not going to help why did you even waste you time posting!?

As to DontCare question: If your ISP provides access to usenet with decent retention you might have a chance. Who is your ISP provider?
    im using BT ( uk company) can i get free usenet access?

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien5
    im using BT ( uk company) can i get free usenet access?
    Try news.btinternet.com without a login/pass. Make sure port 119 is clear if it still doesn't work look up on BT's site or contact support.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast